Very High Nitrates And Nitrites

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

pilotdave1970

Reaction score
I have 2 small aquariums and yes I am a newbie. I have read the forums and still seem a little confused on what is going on. Here is my scenario;

5 gal Hex-5 with 4 Neon Tetra, 3 Serpae Tetra, 1 Pleco.
3 gal - with 4 African Dwarf Frogs

Both tanks are reading on the 5 in 1 strip very high Nitrates and Nitrites. I have faithfully done water changes as recommended with Cycle Treatment in both tanks. I have vacuumed the gravel very well. The only thing I can think as a shot in the dark with this. I am only into my 3rd week with both tanks. The fish and frogs are acting very normal and have healthy appetites. I am feeding every other day. I am posting this because I have had so many pet stores tell me different things. I have even added Aquarium rock salt. Water is very clear in both tanks.

Any ideas

Dave

I have 2 small aquariums and yes I am a newbie. I have read the forums and still seem a little confused on what is going on. Here is my scenario;

5 gal Hex-5 with 4 Neon Tetra, 3 Serpae Tetra, 1 Pleco.
3 gal - with 4 African Dwarf Frogs

Both tanks are reading on the 5 in 1 strip very high Nitrates and Nitrites. I have faithfully done water changes as recommended with Cycle Treatment in both tanks. I have vacuumed the gravel very well. The only thing I can think as a shot in the dark with this. I am only into my 3rd week with both tanks. The fish and frogs are acting very normal and have healthy appetites. I am feeding every other day. I am posting this because I have had so many pet stores tell me different things. I have even added Aquarium rock salt. Water is very clear in both tanks.

Any ideas

Dave

Dave,
A new tank needs to cycle. Overstocking a 5 gallon tank that hasn't cycled is the reason why you are having problems with high nitrites and nitrates. One inch of fish per gallon is a general rule of thumb. My guess is that you have close to eight inches worth of fish in there plus the tank has not had time to cycle. The cycle treatment you have used is only an aid to cycling. A tank develops its bacteria over time to handle to the fish load that you should slowly introduce at a fish or two at a time over a few weeks or months if you elected to cycle with fish. Cycling can be done without fish also. You should read other threads on this forum dealing with cycling. Your fish are in danger so you may want to do something such as return them to the store until you have a cycled tank.
Good luck,
Mike

So first off, both tanks are over stocked. So bringing some of those fish back would help you out. Or you could pretty easliy get bigger tanks for the fish. I would say 20g would be good for the first set. 10g for the frogs.

Ok so secondly if you do not want to try and fix the bigger problem, there is the second problem. Your high nitrates/nitrites. To resolve this at the moment is to change out 50% of the water daily adding the water conditioner each time. Do not filter the gravel at this time, as some bacteria that will help you out will be in there. It might start to get a little gross at the bottom, but it will help with the tank to cycle.

Though all this may help, you will probally loose some fish, and still be overstocked in these tanks and come up with a lot more problems in the future.

Your minimum tank size for a community tank is really 10 gallons UK Im afraid. Anything smaller and it's only good enough as a tank for a single betta or for frogs / shrimps or snails.

Not what you want to hear im sure but I'm afraid you need a bigger tank if you want to go ahead with tropical fishkeeping.

:hi: to TFF by the way

Most reactions

trending

Back