The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Nemo2182

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
HI Guys,
So as some of you know Ive just changed my 46L Fluval Edge from gravel to sand

Most of my plants dont need substrate as such, but I did add back several Vallisneria which obviosuly need ferts...only problem is I have sensitive Corydora Habrosus, Cherry Shrimp and a snail....Any suggestions what is safe??I hear copper and iron is bad for most invertebrates, but in high doses, and there seems to be a lot on the market deemed "Shrimp safe". That said, I would rather here from people experienced with using such products first...ideally id like place a tablet in the sand and let it dissolve where needed, rather that chucking a liquid into water stream, but open to suggestions please.

Nathan

I used Sera Florena liquid plant fertiliser and it did not affect shrimp, snails or fish. I used an Iron (Fe) test kit to monitor the levels in the water and kept the iron level at 1mg/Ltr (1ppm).

Seachem Flourish does not affect shrimp or snails, neither API ones. I watched a video on this and Seachem seems, but only to me, the strong fertiliser.

I've used Flourish tabs without any liquid fertiliser and Valisneria does well. I have RCS, amano and a nerite. I hear vals don't like very soft water so that may be why they grow well, I have 140ppm GH. The downside of Flourish tabs would be the cost.

I think based on the reviews and how easy / clean the install is, The florish tabs are looking best option.They seem expensive, BUT you only have to feed your plants once in 3/4 months and seeing that i only have about 4 plants to feed, i would only put 2 tabs in. I work that out as enough for 1.5 years, so £12 isnt bad at all...

If you have plants that are not rooted they will probably be better with a liquid fertiliser in addition to the tabs. I have used Flourish Comprehensive liquid and TNC Lite in my shrimp tank. Both at half the recommended weekly dosage as that seems to be enough. If you go for TNC make sure you get the Lite and not the Complete.

Any reliable quality plant fertilizer will not have sufficient copper or other heavy metals to cause problems for fish, plants or invertebrates. However, these can occur from other sources too, copper from copper pipers if you have those and they are new (in time this tends not to be an issue). As others have mentioned, the type of fertilizer depends upon the plant species; I have floating plants in all my tanks with or without lower plants (most have these as well) so a liquid works for all but the largest swords in one tank which also get the tabs.

Quality products include Seachem's Flourish (the Comprehensive Supplement liquid and the Tabs), Brightwell Aquatics (FlorinMulti liquid, I think they alsohave tabs) and The Nutrient Company's TNC Lite (liquid, not sure about tabs, this company is in the UK). There may be others, but I only recommend those in which I have reliance as I don't want to mislead anyone.

Yeh ive always had good results with Vallis using TNC complete. Recently bought their roots tabs but too early to tell. I have cherry shrimp and corys

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back