Vacuuming Sand

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nehpets81

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So, after a fishless cycle, two weeka ago I purchased 6 x Guppies and 6 x Sterbai Cories for my 125L tank, planted with a sand substrate. I have settled in to a weekly water change of about 40%.
I use a manual vacuum pump attached to a tube and find it a little difficult to get enough suction to successfully pick up all the debris on the surface of the sand.
Also, I notice towards the end of the week, the sand seems to have a lot of poo and debris on it, which makes me concerned about the Cories sifting through it. I have not shown any ammonia or nitrite since adding fish but the substrate does seem a bit dirty.
So, is it worth maybe doing a sand vac midweek? Is there anyway of doing this without doing a water change and is there some sort of gadget that will make sucking up all the debris a bit easier?

Note: 2 of the cories came without pectoral fins, and I don't think the state of the substrate is helping them grow them back.

I use a lenght of air line to clean my sand, it works better than my vac. Just watch as it will suck up your sand easily! You can attach it to a dow to help with the end in the tank being easier to hold/move around. :)

Hi
I also use an airline for dirty patches, but no matter how i try with a manual siphon vac or the airline i always siphon some sand into my bucket- i just rinse it after ive emptied most the water out & throw it back in the tanks.

Great, thank's for that - just ordered some from ebay so I will see how I get on with that. So, how does one start the suction process on a length of airline?

I use one of those blue nose suckers that are for babies :) I have a few from when my boys were little and that eliminates any chance of tank water in my mouth!! :sick:

LOl i remember then my brother didn't know he havd to clean his gravel. I went over and pulled up handle full of gravel Tank went brown Stinking.

Told him to clean it lent him my stuff.

He tried sucking up he got a mouth full. Water was buzzing.

LOl i remember then my brother didn't know he havd to clean his gravel. I went over and pulled up handle full of gravel Tank went brown Stinking.

What??

Brother have dirty tank.

Brother try to clean dirty tank with Airline

Brother suck on airline

Brother gets mouthful of dirty water.

The END

Yeah, I thought sucking the tube might be involved, really don't want a mouth full of tank water! So, not having had any kids yet, what are those nose suckers and where can I find one?

You can get them anywhere that sells baby stuff. Here is the one I use. http://www.amazon.com/Safety-1st-Hospitals-Choice-Aspirator/dp/B003AOLKJS

Yeah, I thought sucking the tube might be involved, really don't want a mouth full of tank water! So, not having had any kids yet, what are those nose suckers and where can I find one?

It isn't an issue.

Use clear airline tubing and keep an eye on the water inside the tube. When the water drops below the level of the water in the tank, stop sucking immediately and put the end into the bucket. It isn't as hard as some make it out to be. (Also, it isn't nearly as bad as some would make you think if you get some into your mouth. Tank water is a heck of a lot better than gasoline!)

If you are worried about it, practice a few times with a glass of water first. It really isn't hard, and there is no need to purchase something.

An alternative to the sucking method is merely using water pressure and air pressure to your advantage. Here's how:
Fully submerge your entire airline into the water, and move it around until the air bubbles are removed. Then firmly place your finger over one end of the tube. Take this end into the bucket, and remove your finger - voila! instant siphon. (Be sure to keep the other end submerged in the tank as you move the siphon end.)

Brother have dirty tank.

Brother try to clean dirty tank with Airline

Brother suck on airline

Brother gets mouthful of dirty water.

The END

Oh right so it was English then...

Your crayons are in the post. Bless you

Haha have you read your original post. Poor spelling and no grammer...think you need to sharpen you're crayons' chief.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back