Vacuuming Gravel

Missy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hey there
I'm thoroughly bored today so posting alot.
I hate vacuuming the gravel. I think I may be doing it incorrectly.

I have a siphon and just getting it started is my first battle.
I have to pump it up and down in the water and then it eventually gets going. But not before the water gets all stirred up and all the junk in the gravel starts floating around. Then, I have it going into a bucket but it usually stops its suction at least once or twice during the process.

Any suggestions?

Submerge the whole thing in the tank, cover one end of the tube with your thumb, stick it into your bucket/pail/whatever (make sure it is lower than the tank), then let go....

But airborn is right.... practice. Everyone gets their own technique eventually.

Devin

I put the tube in the water, stand so it's higher than the tank and then suck. When the water gets within 12" of my mouth I take the tube out, stopper it with my thumb, lower it to the bucket I've put beneath the tank and let go. It's dead easy.

When I used to use pails, I hated just getting going and the 5g pail filled up. I got 4 of them and kept the siphon going and went til they were all filled up.

This is what I do as there is absolutely no way I'm putting my mouth on that tube. :no: I put the siphon thingy in the tank, put the other end in the bucket and use a turkey baster to suction the air to get it started. Works like a charm. :D

When I got my first tank this time around...the 2nd thing I purchased was a $30.00 Python......it connects to your faucet, and it uses the water pressure to syphon, and no buckets...goes right down the drain.....when you get ready to add water......make a simple adjustment, and the water flows through the hose into the tank......very simple, no fuss....no mess
I wouldn't have as many tanks as I do without having a "Python". :D

MamaPish said:
make a simple adjustment, and the water flows through the hose into the tank
Should you put water in a tank straight from a tap. I always thought it had to be conditioned to remove the chlorine??

I add it straight to the tank......of course I adjust the tap water temp. to the tanks temp.....I have always done it like that, never had any problems.

MamaPish,
How long is the hose on the Python?. Just wondering because my tanks are not all that close to the kitchen faucet and I'd imagine yours aren't either. I think $30 is probably more that worth it to me to save me some hastle.

And, I'll try the other ways suggested except I don't think I can bring myself to suck on the hose. No offense I just can't trust myself not to suck up a huge mouthful of water. Yuck!

ive had it happen but it isnt bad the main key is 2 have your mouth lower than the tank/ vacume, then give a good such and somewhat quikly take it out of your mouth and boom you have a good siphen going, tell me aquarim water tastes the same......... :huh: :nod: :nod: its very refreshing a nice mouthfull of aquarium water on a hot summer day :nod: :pepsi:

The $30.00 python is 25 ft long.....you can get an extension hose for about 25 more I think.....or you could probably just buy some hose and fittings to make your own.

I have 2 pythons put together....one broke...(got stepped on), so I had to buy another.....you can also hook them up to certain bathroom faucets....it fits on
all of mine....but 50' of hose reaches all my tanks from my bathroom faucet.
HTH :D

BTW baseballfan..........Fishwater........ :huh: :sick: :sick: :sick: spare me!! ;)

Oh boy you people have some problems. :D

Put the tube in the tank and fill it with water, invert it and raise it out of the tank so the water will start flowing into your bucket on the floor. As soon as it starts flowing into the bucket, pinch the tube, put the tube back in the water sideways so you don't get air back into it. and let go of the hose. Voila.

Quick, fast, and easy.

I use a 25 ft lengh of hose pipe which runs to the bottom of the garden, i attch 1 end to the tank and suck the other end. just a quick suck gets the water moving through the tube, no need for a mouth full as i stop sucking 19 feet from where the water is. just let the water fill be garden, neighbours love me :thumbs: i then attch the hose the washing machines cold water tap and away i go :thumbs: as for vacuuming i use a battery operated one :thumbs:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back