Vacuuming a tank withshimp in it.

Retired Viking

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
I have a planted 30 gallon tank that I add some ghost shrimp to. I am new to having shrimp. I have been doing my weekly water changes but would like to vacuum the gravel. Do the shrimp burrow into the gravel? The only other occupants are a few guppies with their tiny fry and a snail.

JxsPxxle

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I have a planted 30 gallon tank that I add some ghost shrimp to. I am new to having shrimp. I have been doing my weekly water changes but would like to vacuum the gravel. Do the shrimp burrow into the gravel? The only other occupants are a few guppies with their tiny fry and a snail.
I have kept lots of different types of shrimp and I have never seen them burrow, if you get near them with the vacuum they will most likely just zoom off in another direction. I vacuum my gravel with no issues.

seangee

Reaction score
I do vacuum into a bucket. Occasionally I do have to retrieve a shrimp or two out of the bucket.

essjay

Staff member
Global Moderator
Reaction score
I have cherry shrimps and it is common to find baby shrimps in the bucket.

OP
Retired Viking

Retired Viking

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
I have cherry shrimps and it is common to find baby shrimps in the bucket.
I plan on checking the waste water just in case, I already do that with my other tank just in case I catch a fry or something.

OP
Retired Viking

Retired Viking

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
I successfully vacuumed the shrimp tank, didn't find any shrimp in the bucket but it was interesting to see how the shrimp reacted. At one point I was slowly moving the vacuum and stopped when I noticed several shrimp watching the vacuum. They made a semi-circle around it starring at it. I had to wonder what they were thinking :)

seangee

Reaction score
I successfully vacuumed the shrimp tank, didn't find any shrimp in the bucket but it was interesting to see how the shrimp reacted. At one point I was slowly moving the vacuum and stopped when I noticed several shrimp watching the vacuum. They made a semi-circle around it starring at it. I had to wonder what they were thinking :)
Yo want to try some microdevario kubotai. They actively swim up the siphon tube.

PheonixKingZ

Fish Expert
Tank of the Month!
Pet of the Month!
Reaction score
They do not burrow. I have shrimp in my 10g betta tank, and I have never seen them burrow. They are surprisingly strong swimmers, so the chances of one getting sucked up are little to none if you be carful. Do you use the hole syphon? Or just the small tube? If you use just the small tube, good. If not, then I suggest to start using just the small part. It is a lot easier, trust me.

OP
Retired Viking

Retired Viking

Fish Connoisseur
Reaction score
They do not burrow. I have shrimp in my 10g betta tank, and I have never seen them burrow. They are surprisingly strong swimmers, so the chances of one getting sucked up are little to none if you be carful. Do you use the hole syphon? Or just the small tube? If you use just the small tube, good. If not, then I suggest to start using just the small part. It is a lot easier, trust me.
I will give that a try, thanks.

vanalisa

Fish Herder
Tank of the Month!
Reaction score
Thanks for asking this question. Time to do my tank and was wondering the same!