Uv Filter For Fresh Water?

snowflake311

Fish nerd
Joined
Mar 19, 2008
Messages
4,074
Reaction score
8
Points
38
Location
US
I am wondering if getting a UV filter for my tank would be a good idea. I am thinking it will just keep the water extra clean from any bacteria or other unwanted pest.

Do you think it is worth having?
Or is it just over kill?

My tank is only 36 Gal and fresh water. I am very on top of my water changes. I Feel fresh clean water is keep to keeping happy fish. I don't think I need one. BUT it sounds like a good idea.

How do you feel about UV filters?
 
Hmm, you probably wouldn't want one, it's only if you have frequent probs... It's also quite expensive, if you have no probs, again, save your money and buy a second tank.
 
Hmm, you probably wouldn't want one, it's only if you have frequent probs... It's also quite expensive, if you have no probs, again, save your money and buy a second tank.


Not too expensive actually. There are 2 types: inline and independant. Inline systems attach to the outlet of a canister filter. Independant units have a pump and prefilter built in. Of the two, the inline is cheaper (but you must have a water pump or canister filter already.) I have this type and bought it off ebay for $50 (roughly 34 pounds.)
 
I am going to agree with others that unless you have microbe problems in your tank, the money is better spent on other equipment like a new tank or a filter.
Drobbyb, the correct equivalent in pounds would be about 50. For some reason, their prices look a lot like ours but in local currency. I know the exchange rate says what you calculated but my trips to the UK tell me their prices are the same numbers as we have but the money is just different. At least it is true when buying food which is mostly what I would do as a tourist. A simple meal in a pub would cost the same in pounds as the similar meal would cost in a mom and pop restaurant. The difference is that their money is quite a bit more valuable in foreign exchange.
 
i really struggled with a green water algae problem and the only way i found to clear it effectively was a UV steriliser.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top