Using Wood From The Woods

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Liquid skills

Fish Herder
Reaction score
hi
i was woundering what i had to do to wood from the woods outside my house before i can add it to my tank
i know the obvious one to clean it which i will do with boiling water but woundered if i had to do anything else

i also know about the whole soft wood hard wood thing and im only using hard wood ie oak and horse chestnut wood :)

okay i did exactly the asme thing check my journal out if that helps :)

you seem to got most already sorted out but i would de bark it to check and help with getting anything that maybe living under it, and make sure the wood is dead and dry from sap i dontk now how to tell this but the wood i got was cut a year before i picked it up so i knew it was dead :D hope this and my journal helps, links in the sig :D

hi yeh its hard to tell whats new or old i want a piece that looks like roots like u get in a shop but have no idea if the pieces id look at are new or old as we recently had those storms and a few trees got nocked over and branches went every where what happens if the sap goes in the water?

from what people have been telling me it poisons the water :( someone will correct me if i am wrong but I'm sure it dose that

If you are looking for rooty wood, then heather would be a good choice. I 'borrowed' some from the Yorkshire moors for my nano tank, and it looks cool. The only problem is it takes hours to de-bark. If you soak it in water for a few days first it's easier to get the bark off. They burn so much of the heather each year to help new growth etc, so you'll probably be able to find some old wood if you live anywhere near any heather?

Most reactions

trending

Back