Using old water for knew fish?

Anonymous Fox

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Is it safe to use the same water as your old fish for new ones? As long as you clean everything inside, hides, fake plants, gravel, etc?

Water contains multiple bacterias, some good ans useful, others can be dangerous to new fishes.

Water contains multiple bacterias, some good ans useful, others can be dangerous to new fishes.
yes, it is moslty good unless the ph is different. good for jump starting new tank but might be dangerous for tank with fish in it since it will fluctuate the water chemistry (if it is different that is )

I truly don't know what you are asking.

Can you please explain what you mean.
If your old fish died, get moved to a new tank, ect. Can you use the same water the old fish were in for a new one, like, I’m planning on getting a betta for my ten gallon once I move my tetras to my 47, could I use the same old water I used for my tetras for a new betta

hope this makes sense! I’m not planning on doing it, just wondering ?

I would always do a major water change, meaning 75-80% of the tank's volume, before adding new fish. You could drain it completely of course, since there are no fish in it. There is certainly no benefit in "old" water, it is full of "stuff" that we remove via water changes so the fish will be healthier.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back