Urgent! Skinny Rosy barbs and swordtail

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I just caught 5 swordtail from the river (soft water btw might be from someone fish tank) and now they’re all infected, they are skinny and it seems to be parasite, I did used fish broad spectrum and salt and it doesn’t work as they are skinnier and paler everyday.

should I move all of them to Qt tank?
They
6381E7D3-AF19-47EE-9E46-459D0B543193.jpeg
012C97D6-D465-435F-94EF-BA3D0C95C5E3.jpeg
1CA111CA-98D3-407D-9CDE-B49BA79FBEF6.jpeg

It is a bad idea to remove any wild fish from its natural habitat. I'm afraid my only suggestion, is to put them back in the river. They may have already infected your whole tank.

So um any ideas of how to treat my rosy barbs then? They are not from the wild.

I would not move them to a QT tank, because the whole tank is most likely already infected.

Are you using the API General Cure?

I would not move them to a QT tank, because the whole tank is most likely already infected.

Are you using the API General Cure?
We don’t have that here but I have been using Metronidazole and salt (which is an ingredient for API general cure) for whole weeks (as @Colin_T wrote in one of his thread)
And they’re still infected like that :/

I also did the what Colin wrote in this thread

And still doesn’t work.

Are they eating? Have you seen their poo yet, what does it look like?

We don’t have that here but I have been using Metronidazole and salt (which is an ingredient for API general cure) for whole weeks (as @Colin_T wrote in one of his thread)
And they’re still infected like that :/

I also did the what Colin wrote in this thread

And still doesn’t work.
Whatever the sword tails had/have, the rosy’s have it now... I’m not sure what the sword tails had. That is why it’s never a good idea to introduce wild fish into your aquarium - they usually harbor internal parasites.

What's happening with these fish Barry?

For anyone reading this thread, it's illegal to put introduced fish back in the wild. So for people like Barry who caught introduced species in his local creek, he is not allowed to put them back in the creek.

Give them a heap of daphnia, brineshrimp or prawn and feed them until they are full, then wait and see if they poop. They usually do about 30 minutes after getting a big feed.

If you don't have time to watch them, set up a video camera and record the tank for an hour and play it back on fast forward. See if any of them poop.

Give them a heap of daphnia, brineshrimp or prawn and feed them until they are full, then wait and see if they poop. They usually do about 30 minutes after getting a big feed.

If you don't have time to watch them, set up a video camera and record the tank for an hour and play it back on fast forward. See if any of them poop.
Half transparent and half normal poop.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back