Urgent....please Help...cloudy Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

07sanchez

Reaction score
Please can someone urgently help.

I got a new tank for xmas. 50cmx30x30

I filled with conditioned water and left it for one week.

I introduced 2 Albino catfish and 3 guppys for the first week and eveything was fine.

My brother then had a problem and I took his fish for him, as they would have died anyways, around 20 more fish (including sucker fish, tetras, clown laoches and more)

Obviously I know this was a really silly thing to do, but it was better than letting him flush them all away.

HOWEVER. A day after they all went in, the tank went very cloudy (you cant see the other side through the glass) and there is the worst smell every (the house stinks). This seems to be getting worse each day.

the fish are slowly dieing one by one and I dont know what to do.

Ive tried a 1/3 change but it is getting worse.

Can someone please help

Thanks

Sanchez

Right first off made the classic mistake of adding to many fish to soon.
Need to no size of tank in gallons or litres.
Full stock list of fish of how many and which kind.
Plus water stats in ammonia,nitrite,nitrate,and ph.

thanks for the wuick replys.

8.2 Gallons

Fish (the ones left)
3 guppys
1 Fighting Fish
4 Albino Catfish
5 Black Mollys

Idont know the chemical levels as I dont have a testing kit.

im doing daily water changes, however the tank is really cloudy and smell, please help :)

Sanchez

You have some major problems in your tank.

First, it is too overstocked. Take all of your brother's fish to a fish store and try to get them to take them.

You have a lot to read and learn about if you plan on keeping fish alive for more than a month.

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=88643

read the topics on the link above, and welcome to the hobby!

Eight gals can see why you have had problems, clown loaches and sucker fish need large tank, i would get your water tested at the lfs quickly, and tell them to write the readings down, plus invest in some liquid test kits of your own.
For now I would preform a 30% water change.
All you should have in that size tank is at a push the guppies and maybe the corys.

thanks for the replies.

Yeah im a bit of a mong lol.

Please keep the suggestions coming.

Just done a 30% change, but still just as cloudy.

I would never have had that many fish, but was trying to save some of my bros.

Do you think the cloudyness will go eventually, what can I do to help?

thanks again

Sanchez

Sorry to have to tell you this, but those fish will never survive in that tank.

There's just too many for the space you have.

You'll have to get rid of some eventually, either by them dying from bad living conditions or if you find someone to take them.

If I take a few out will the rest survive?

If so what do I take out?

I agree some fish wan't removing till then, you will have bad water quality and a cloudy tank.

The fighter fish wan't rehoming, plus guppys and cory are very sensitive to water quality, mollies are abit hardier than guppys, so it's down to you which you keep, but you could end up with none if things carry on.

The stock you started with (3 guppies and 2 albino catfish, assuming the 2 albino catfish are albino corydoras catfish) is about right for that tank. You started out good, but unfortunately taking the excess fish wasn't the best decision.

Thanks for all your help.

Please keep the suggestions coming :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back