Upside down catfish tank mate questions.

But based off of previous water tests (i dont remember the numbers for hardness) the water is soft with a ph of 7

Unfortunately for now though those are the best numbers i got, ill try to get a kit tomorrow to do my own test but idk if that will happen.

Unfortunately for now though those are the best numbers i got, ill try to get a kit tomorrow to do my own test but idk if that will happen.

Before spending money for a GH/KH test which you may only use the once, can you track down these numbers from your water provider? Check their website.

I tried, i really did, for months, only finding hints and tid bits to get the knowledge i do, it really ticked me off thb.

If i got a genral test with just genral hardness could th hat work

I tried, i really did, for months, only finding hints and tid bits to get the knowledge i do, it really ticked me off thb.

Did you call them and ask them? I'm just trying to save you money .

Yes, it always goes to a message system, then they never get back to me. I called again and kinda got somewhere but still need to wait to see if i get a response.

So i finally got a response! But unfortunately i couldn't get an exact reading. The ph is in fact 7 to 7.7, hardness is 50, and alkalinity is 40.

That's OK. GH at 50 ppm equates to 3 dGH, and KH (Alkalinity) at 40 ppm equates to 2 dKH. The hobby uses these two units, so it is always good to know both. This is very soft water. As the aquarium matures, the pH will most likely lower below 7, also good because soft water fish tend to prefer (= be healthier) in acidic water.

In post #1 you wrote:
These fish include ottos, pygmy corries, black neon and glass bloodfin tetras, celestial pearl and zebra danios, and endlers. [upside down catfish also mentioned.]

Taking into account what a couple of us posted earlier in this thread about compatibility...the Endlers being livebearers needing much harder water are out. The other fish are suited as far as parameters. Zebra Danios I would not consider, as they are very active swimmers, and some of the other fish are sedate and do not appreciate active fish around them. Seangee mentioned about celestial pearl danios, these are better on their own. This tank is presumably a 75 gallon. Pygmy cories are OK, but I find they tend to get lost in larger tanks, but you coould still have them in a good sized group, say 15-20. But there are over 160 medium-sized cories suited. Up to you.

Upside down are OK, in a group. Make sure you have plants or branches so this species can be "upside down" or it will be severely stressed.

Bloodfins I would not get, they have a tendency to fin nip and I can see the upside down cats being targeted.

Other fish to consider...most of the tetras (there are a few unsuited but generally), hatchetfish, pencilfish, some of the plecos (whiptail, bristlenose), rasboras, some of the gourami...lots to consider.

And as i said before the zebras were taken out of the equasion.

Most reactions

Back