Upside Down Bristlenose Plec.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

RCA

Fish Herder
Reaction score
One of my Bristlenose is lying upside down from time to time. It seemed to start after I put a black and white rock in the aquarium, however this maybe coincidence? I removed the rock during my latest water change last week. Generally he hangs around his man cave, and grazes on Bogwood. He seems to have a full tummy, and I have read they can do this when content or prior to passing away?

When upside down he fans his fins, it is almost as if he is full up and just chilling. He is now back in his man cave.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour?

I have attached a photo and also have it on video, which will be uploaded next week by my nephew who loves to edit them for me

image.jpg

My big bristly has on occasions been upside down but I can't remember a time when he was upside down but unattached to anything, he is always attached to a piece of wood. Not helpful I know but anecdotally with others it may help.

My BN male only hangs upside on the underside of his self dug out 'cave'. Other than that I've never seen him upside down.

Not sure if he does it when I'm not watching though. Although, generally, he prefers to just stay secluded most of the time.

I have read they can do this when content or prior to passing away?
That is quite a dichotomy, isn't it? He's either super happy or super ill... Not a great situation for a fishkeeper, should you be content or be concerned?

How is his behaviour when he's not upside down?

He reminds me of a fat cat XD

Many thanks for all your responses

ShinySideUp said:
My big bristly has on occasions been upside down but I can't remember a time when he was upside down but unattached to anything, he is always attached to a piece of wood....

It is weird as you can see in the photo he is just under a piece of wood and did seem to half heartedly lift his head as if to re-attach, but was just happy "chilling".

eaglesaquarium said:
I have read they can do this when content or prior to passing away? That is quite a dichotomy, isn't it? He's either super happy or super ill... Not a great situation for a fishkeeper, should you be content or be concerned?

Hi Eagles... I am back (for now) to keep you busy . Indeed ...

LyraGuppi said:
How is his behaviour when he's not upside down?....
Pretty normal - man cave, eat, graze, chill upside down, man cave, etc...

I have two male BN's and one does this now and then ... he lives in a dug out hole under my bogwood and I often see him in the entrance layed like yours ... first time I saw it I thought he was dead but then I saw his gills moving so I knew he wasn't. He moved eventually but he seems to like chilling layed on his back. I'm not worried about him ... he's just an oddball and yours is probably just the same :)

RCA said:
Hi Eagles... I am back (for now) to keep you busy. Indeed ...
Always a pleasure, RCA.

Akasha72 said:
I have two male BN's and one does this now and then ... he lives in a dug out hole under my bogwood and I often see him in the entrance layed like yours ... first time I saw it I thought he was dead but then I saw his gills moving so I knew he wasn't. He moved eventually but he seems to like chilling layed on his back. I'm not worried about him ... he's just an oddball and yours is probably just the same :)
I think once I get the video up for you all to see, you will see how big his tummy is, and how he is fanning his fins. It is as if he is in his own little world of contentment. Maybe it is a "man" thing as not seen a girl BN do this, anyone else?

Ditto Eagles...

I'm guessing he's just being a lazy plec, also. XD

RCA said:
One of my Bristlenose is lying upside down from time to time. It seemed to start after I put a black and white rock in the aquarium, however this maybe coincidence? I removed the rock during my latest water change last week. Generally he hangs around his man cave, and grazes on Bogwood. He seems to have a full tummy, and I have read they can do this when content or prior to passing away?
When upside down he fans his fins, it is almost as if he is full up and just chilling. He is now back in his man cave.
Has anyone else seen this behaviour?
I have attached a photo and also have it on video, which will be uploaded next week by my nephew who loves to edit them for me
attachicon.gif
image.jpg
My female is upside done on the bottom every now and then and when I walk up to her she shoots away into her corner an I have had her for four years no problems

Thanks for the reassurance, I have come to the conclusion that all is well with him, he equally heads into his cave after his blissful upside down state. My nephew has yet to sort out the video, hopefully he will do so next time I see him.

Further to my post above which stated that I've often seen mine upside-down but always attached to something...

....for the last two days I have seen him upside down and not attached; seems he's just chillin'.

Thanks, I find mine is the same, out of interest is he the only Plec in your aquarium? I have a pair of reds in my other aquarium and never see them carry out such a behaviour. They are breeding regulary though so I guess no time to chill ;)

my ancistrus was like this again just a few days ago .. I had a giggle at him, layed on his back not attached, and walked away. Looking at the comments RCA they all seem to do it 

Whether it's just restricted to the ancistrus I don't know :)

RCA said:
Thanks, I find mine is the same, out of interest is he the only Plec in your aquarium? I have a pair of reds in my other aquarium and never see them carry out such a behaviour. They are breeding regulary though so I guess no time to chill
wink.png

No, I have three in there, two females, one male. No breeding yet tough as the females are eight years younger than the male and much smaller.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back