Upgrading Already?! ))))

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Renahastetras

Reaction score
Hii Guys!

I didn't know it will be like this!! We have our nano tank a couple of months now and thinking about upgrading already! Not like our apartment grew or something, but I might fit in a 16G.

So, before we invest here are the questions:

Shall we go with a kit or buy everything separate?   As beginners the Nano tank kit totally works for us, we didn't know anything. 
I know the round and tall aquariums are not good for the fish, but the bow one is fine, right?

The MOST important to me that everything works very, very, very quietly.

If I saw it well in one of the pet shop, they use canister filtering. There is a box filled with carbon pieces and sometimes it bubbles. ( I sound laughable, right? , sorry ). Maybe I confused with the names, please, do correct me.  So my question simple, which filtering system is better? Somewhere I read, faster is better if you have more fish and therefore the water should be filtered more often. - but I think that would be also louder...

Our kit did not come with the air pump. It's usefull but not needed for small tank.  Do we need air pump for a larger tank? Is that a must there? 

Also really it does not matter if it's glass or acrylic, right? I think I will go with the acrylic becasue it weight less.

thank you

Hi!!  Awesome job looking into a bigger tank...your fish will love you for it 
wink.png
.  I answered your questions below:
Renahastetras said:
Hii Guys!

I didn't know it will be like this!! We have our nano tank a couple of months now and thinking about upgrading already! Not like our apartment grew or something, but I might fit in a 16G.

So, before we invest here are the questions:

Shall we go with a kit or buy everything separate?   As beginners the Nano tank kit totally works for us, we didn't know anything.   Well, sometimes starter tanks aren't quite as good quality as seperate pieces, but there's really no huge difference except price (kits are less expensive...you get what you pay for.)
I know the round and tall aquariums are not good for the fish, but the bow one is fine, right?  I wouldn't go with a round aquarium, but as for the tall, it depends on the species of fish that you're getting.  And yes, bow tanks are just fine.

The MOST important to me that everything works very, very, very quietly.

If I saw it well in one of the pet shop, they use canister filtering. There is a box filled with carbon pieces and sometimes it bubbles. ( I sound laughable, right? , sorry ). Maybe I confused with the names, please, do correct me.  So my question simple, which filtering system is better? Somewhere I read, faster is better if you have more fish and therefore the water should be filtered more often. - but I think that would be also louder... Really, a quiet filter is a quiet filter...doesn't really matter how much water it filters per hr/min.  And I use the HOB (hang on back) filter for my tank and it works great, but you could try something different - I'm not sure I'd go for an external filter with such a small tank (as they can tend to be quite expensive).  I'm not a huge advocate of undergravel filters either.  And if you're using sand as a substrate, forget about it.

Our kit did not come with the air pump. It's usefull but not needed for small tank.  Do we need air pump for a larger tank? Is that a must there? - Again, depends on the species.  If you're planning on getting fish with labyrinth breathing systems (like bettas or gouramis) you definitely don't need it; if you're getting other fish, like tetras, you might consider it.  But it really depends on now much aeration the filter provides.  You don't have to have it; in fact your fish might live for forever without it, but I'd keep something of the kind on hand in case you're noticing signs of oxygen deprivation.

Also really it does not matter if it's glass or acrylic, right? I think I will go with the acrylic becasue it weight less. No, it doesn't matter.  Acrylic is often the material of choice because it doesn't break as easily and is lighter, but it's more expensive.

thank you
Best of luck!
-CL95

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back