Upgrading a tank advice

Pennyangus

Reaction score
Hi so we currently have a 105l tank on a fairly solid sideboard but noticed it had starting to drop. We've put some support within the unit to make it more supportive however I in my mind I've been wanting to get a tank and proper stand. We came across an add on facebook for an aqua one 145l tank and unit which we can collect Tuesday. It will go in the same place as the old tank snd I'm not really sure how I can do this. The old tank is too heavy to move to make room for the new tank. I'd have to drain it but not sure where to put all the water and fish. Maybe a silly question but not sure where to start with it all. Can anyone advise please. Thanks

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20231016_110507_Chrome.jpg
    SmartSelect_20231016_110507_Chrome.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 11
Big plastic storage containers and or plastic rubbish bins and buckets.

Drain the water out of the tank and put it in bucket, bins or storage containers. Put the fish in them as well as any live plants, shrimp or snails.

Put the filter on or in the container with the fish.

Put the gravel and ornaments in separate buckets.

Carry the old tank outside and rinse it out. Do this carefully because lots of tanks get damaged when put on the ground.

Move the old stand into a spare room and put the old tank on it.

Move the new tank and stand into position and set it up with the old gravel and water. Put the fish, plants, filter in the new tank. Top up the new tank with dechlorinated water and your done.

-----

If you get the new tank to your house a few days before doing the above, you can clean it out and have it sitting in a spare room ready to go.

With the old tank, do a water change and gravel clean the substrate every day for 3 or 4 days (or a week if you can) before you empty it. This will remove most of the gunk from the gravel and it will be cleaner when you do the move.

Don't bother feeding the fish while they are in the buckets. Don't feed them until the day after the move.

Have lids on the buckets to stop the fish jumping out.

Agree with Colin, drain most of the water then pop the fish etc in a bucket before transferring everything over. Likely to be a messy job but worth it when you're finished!

Side note, I have this aquarium stand, just give it a once over before you put the new tank on and fill it as it comes flat-pack from new so you just want to check it's been properly assembled!

This is how we tackled the problem when we had to change tanks.
Put plenty of paper and such on floor to collect drips and spills.
The tank water was taken out a bucketful at a time and put into a clean ....clean garden Trug (syphoned out) .
Next the fish were put into the Trug along with thermometer ,filter sponges and heater.Keep an eye on the temp but try to avoid using the heater.
Plants went into a bucket and some into the Trug.
Got rid of remaining water and then removed substrate and gave it a clean whilst we were about it.
Remove old tank and stand and replace with new...set up and level off tank as best you can (spirit level).
Substrate in.
Use trug water a bit at a time mixed with fresh try to keep temprature equal or there about to aid acclimatisation of the fish.
Ours was a 110ltr tank and it took about 7hrs to do this but we are two old gits both with back and knee problems.
Remember we are responsable for our pets so try not to mess them around too much if you can help it.
We lost one fish double jumped out of my hand and net.
Don't think left anything out.
Good luck and remember common sense rules.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back