Up'ed My Ph.....

Yanks15

Fishaholic
Joined
Jun 18, 2012
Messages
676
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
US
Back story..... I've had problems with my pH being stable. It usually sets about 6.6 at wc and drops to 6.0 between changes. My KH is 1 and GH is 4. So I gave the baking soda/epsomsalt/marine salt mix a try. Well.....2 hours after wc and WOW! pH 7.6 KH 4 GH 12. I only did 1/2 recipe for 5 gals in a 10 gal tank. Did I do too much? Will this rise in pH affect the fish? Any advice would be great.

Thanks
 
I agree. But it went from 6.6 to 7.6 in 10 minutes! Thats what I'm worried about.

Thanks.
 
If the mineral content of the water didn't change very much, your fish will be fine. Fish are much more sensitive to the mineral content of water than to the pH. In a natural setting the mineral content changes very slowly but if there are plants present, the pH can swing a whole point up and down every day with the changes in light and the CO2 changes that result from photosynthesis.
 
Hey OldMan, how would I know if I changed the mineral content? I assume I did by adding the marine salt and epsom salt, didn't I ? Everyone in the tank acually seems quite happy after I did the wc with the mix added. So I guess it's OK.

Thanks.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top