Update On Pub Tank

Ludwig Venter

Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Joined
Jun 7, 2008
Messages
8,209
Reaction score
5
Points
38
Location
South Africa
I admit that I did make a crucial error in adding a Hifin Pengasius Shark in there, currently only about 20cm long..... But, It did make a complete turnover in observable activities in the tank.... The Oscars, Convicts and Pleco have suddenly sprung to life.

People are getting out of their chairs to observe closeup and there is renewed interrest in the tank (from customers)..... I hope to make a plan before the fish outgrows the 1,100l tank.... (given 1 year to make a plan).

The current Manager has asked me to add some more fish (with colour) into the tank... all I can think of is dyed Parrot fish... Against my principals to support the concept, but what else is available?????

There are.... 3 x Convict Males...... 2 x Albino Oscars, 1 x Tiger Oscar, 1 x Plecostoumus.... and then the 1 x Pengassius..... What can I add to enhance colours???
 
I may just mention, that my topic "now I'm really rellying on you guys" was getting a bit "top heavy" & that is why, I decided to have this spinoff....... Anybody not familiar with the background can view that topic.
 
As all the fish except the Pangasius are South American, IMO add a GT or JD and another Pleco with some bogwood added too.
 
As all the fish except the Pangasius are South American, IMO add a GT or JD and another Pleco with some bogwood added too.

Common Andy... Givus a clue to narrow it down...... :o (I've deducted that JD must be.... "Jack Dempsey")
 
Replied on the other Thread.
 
Replied on the other Thread.
:lol: OK!... let's agree...... this is the spinoff, so the other one cease to exist..... (I'm running up & down between the 2) all future correspondence about the topic will be on thisa one... I'll (finally) go check what you said on the other one..... :lol:
 
As all the fish except the Pangasius are South American, IMO add a GT or JD and another Pleco with some bogwood added too.

Common Andy... Givus a clue to narrow it down...... :o (I've deducted that JD must be.... "Jack Dempsey")

tbh i would avoid adding GTS as they generally turn into Oscar killers once they mature,

How about some good sized Silver Dollars or Tinfoil barbs, or similar big active fish that will catch your eye,
or maybe a few african Snakeheads, Parachanna Obscura would be ideal
or large bichirs, maybe an ornate or a few senegals?

Also what happened to the Giant Gourami?
 
The Giant Gourami is currently sharing an outside pond with my (group of) Convicts.... being punished for being a naughty boy/girl....Silver Dollars are available at the Local pet store, but only about 3" dia.... and grossly overpriced at that size.... The Manager is very keen on dyed/tattooted Parrotfish, but in Principal.... I dunno if I'll support it.....I'm thinking a large tyretrack eel may be ok.... how do you think??
 
The Giant Gourami is currently sharing an outside pond with my (group of) Convicts.... being punished for being a naughty boy/girl....Silver Dollars are available at the Local pet store, but only about 3" dia.... and grossly overpriced at that size.... The Manager is very keen on dyed/tattooted Parrotfish, but in Principal.... I dunno if I'll support it.....I'm thinking a large tyretrack eel may be ok.... how do you think??

Lol, throwing his weight around was he,

If there are a lot of hiding places and the eel is fatter than the Oscars mouths then it should work, although if the tyretrack is too small it may end up being the oscars noodle soup.
maybe you could add some black pipe or similar for the tyretrack to retreat to,

Also how hard is it for you to source african cichlids like yellow labs? you could add a big group of say 10-15 and easily and safely use them as ditherfish for the New Worlds
 
Now we're back into French.... Bichirs, Yellow Labs, "ditherfish"????... I live in South Africa....
 
ornate birchirs its like a snake head

yellow labs i think is a malawi ciclid (from lake malawi)

dither fish fast swimming fish in there to have the aggressive fish take there aggression out on them but there fast so arnt often hurt
 
dither fish fast swimming fish in there to have the aggressive fish take there aggression out on them but there fast so arnt often hurt

He! He!... I think the Pangasius serves that purpose..... so much energy & movement....
 

Most reactions

Back
Top