Update On My Tank!

FreshwaterFishie

Fish Fanatic
Joined
Sep 24, 2005
Messages
134
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Minnesota
Hi guys!!! :) I have been away from the forum for a while because of school, but I thought I would post an update again.

I got the tank at the end of Septemeber so it is...a little of 4 months old. And the new little Platy babies are about 4 weeks? Now I have 6 Zebra Danio, 7 Mickey Mouse Platies (3 are 4 wks.), and 4 Otocinclus in a 20 gallon long. None of my fish have died or gotten sick since I got the tank and the ammonia, ect. has stayed at 0. I got rid of the live plant today because it was kind of dying and took up room.
Today I did a water change and added another Hide-Out toy. It is one of the things that looks like a small rock cave. I also added a 14" bubble wall that the fish LOVE! :wub: They have been zooming in and out of it or wading in it. The Otos aways seem so serious about eating algae and ONLY eating algae, but one of them absolutely LOVES it! It was swimming back and forth through it and then it would go back to work. LOL They are so funny.
Do you think that the tanks is over-stocked or OK? The tank doesn't look like it is full of fish.
:drool: :wub: Do you think there is enough room for African Dwarf Frogs??? I used to have them and now I miss them. I did not cycle my 5 gallon tank I had a few years ago and the frogs all died of something that might have been Ick (sp?). Are these frogs prone to getting diseases. I don't want to wreck my healthy tank and have to do lots of water changing and work trying to rid the disease.
Thanks guys you have helped me a lot!!!
 
Hi. I am glad to hear that you are having good luck with your tank! I am not able to help you with the question on the frogs, but i thought i'd comment on the stocking question. Zebra danios grow to about 2.25", and you have 6 so that's about 13.5" of fish. I'm not sure how big the platies get but if you use 1" which is probably on the low side that gives you 20.5" right there. As far as the 1" of fish per gallon rule goes, your tank is fully stocked with those fish not including the Otos or the platy fry. If you are having luck with your fish then you must have good filtration and a good maintenance routine. So i would say that you should keep up the good work, but i would caution you against adding too many more fish.
I'm glad you're enjoying your tank, good luck!
 
Hi. I am glad to hear that you are having good luck with your tank! I am not able to help you with the question on the frogs, but i thought i'd comment on the stocking question. Zebra danios grow to about 2.25", and you have 6 so that's about 13.5" of fish. I'm not sure how big the platies get but if you use 1" which is probably on the low side that gives you 20.5" right there. As far as the 1" of fish per gallon rule goes, your tank is fully stocked with those fish not including the Otos or the platy fry. If you are having luck with your fish then you must have good filtration and a good maintenance routine. So i would say that you should keep up the good work, but i would caution you against adding too many more fish.
I'm glad you're enjoying your tank, good luck!

Thanks! They don't seem to be over-crowded or anything. The little fry are getting even bigger and am hoping that all or most of them are females.

*EDIT* Now I am hoping they are all males. I do not want mlre fry.
 
Wow zebras grow that big? My 10G is gonna be overstocked, seeing as how i have 4 zebras and 3 cories.. :|
 

Most reactions

Back
Top