Unwanted Gourami breeding

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Fox46

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Acknowledging we made a mistake choosing Gold Gourami, I'm now trying to manage the situation as best I can while I attempt to rehome them. In our 180 litre tank we have 2 gold gourami, 6 pearl gourami, 3 guppy and 6 corys. The male Gourami has been bullying the female and keeping her behind the filter for weeks but of late has been more sociable and tolerated her coming out. So this morning I found them canoodling and a bubble nest has been developed overnight. The last thing I want is any more golds, but I don't want any further carnage in this tank. (The male has already killed a smaller gourami, and two guppies). I've read the male might try to kill the female once the eggs are laid, and wonder whether he might try to kill any other fish that venture near the nest. What's the best thing to do here, for everyone's sake? Efforts to rehome them all (I have three in another tank) have so far been unsuccessful and it's not easy anyway with the lockdown restrictions here in the UK.

So they were "canoodling"? :rofl: They will "canoodle" whether you want them to or not. When they lay their eggs, just put the female somewhere else.

Eggs usually would hatch on their own, male will protect them. I see that is your first time breeding them?

I'm not breeding them. I'm trying to ensure I don't get any more while I try to rehome the ones I've got and was looking for the best way of dealing with this.

Any local pets at home stores open? You've got just to talk to them and they'll say if yes or no and when you can give the unwanted fish to them.

Stores not re-opening until 15 June. For the moment I've turned up the surface aeration to dispel the nest. Can't remove the female to the other tank the way things are in there, so will have to manage it this way until then. Thank you.

Acknowledging we made a mistake choosing Gold Gourami, I'm now trying to manage the situation as best I can while I attempt to rehome them. In our 180 litre tank we have 2 gold gourami, 6 pearl gourami, 3 guppy and 6 corys. The male Gourami has been bullying the female and keeping her behind the filter for weeks but of late has been more sociable and tolerated her coming out. So this morning I found them canoodling and a bubble nest has been developed overnight. The last thing I want is any more golds, but I don't want any further carnage in this tank. (The male has already killed a smaller gourami, and two guppies). I've read the male might try to kill the female once the eggs are laid, and wonder whether he might try to kill any other fish that venture near the nest. What's the best thing to do here, for everyone's sake? Efforts to rehome them all (I have three in another tank) have so far been unsuccessful and it's not easy anyway with the lockdown restrictions here in the UK.

Male gouramis/anabantids will protect the nest and eggs/young from anything and anyone that enters his territory. He'll guard them until they're free swimming. At that point, they're on their own, unless you intervene. As you don't want them to breed, the best thing is to let nature take its cause. Once the male loses interest, the other fish will pick the fry off, although one or two might survive.

Pets at Home are open. Most pet stores have been throughout the lockdown. Whether or not they'll take unwanted fish, is another question.

Male gouramis/anabantids will protect the nest and eggs/young from anything and anyone that enters his territory. He'll guard them until they're free swimming. At that point, they're on their own, unless you intervene. As you don't want them to breed, the best thing is to let nature take its cause. Once the male loses interest, the other fish will pick the fry off, although one or two might survive.

Pets at Home are open. Most pet stores have been throughout the lockdown. Whether or not they'll take unwanted fish, is another question.
I'll keep trying the store. How long does the nesting to free swimming phase last?

Most reactions

Back