Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

And this ?‍⬛

Edit - that doesn't load properly. It's a black cat in the emoji list.

"Seriously Fishy" has some problems. For example the 12' tank for the redtail catfish, if you have a 6" redtail catfish you don't need a 12' tank. If you have a school of 6 3" clown loaches don't worry that one day they may get to 2' each, that is unlikely to ever happen. I see that someone said you need 100g tank for a single tailed goldfish. Not if the goldfish is 3" long, it will be happy in a 10g tank. When the fish grow get a bigger tank if you need to otherwise enjoy.

We've all heard of people who bought fish intending to upgrade, then life got in the way and the upgrade never happened and they are stuck with fish which have outgrown the tank. This is why we always advise not to get a fish unless you have a suitable tank now, not in a few years' time.

Besides, the “minimum” tank size is recommended. Big is always better. ;)

We've all heard of people who bought fish intending to upgrade, then life got in the way and the upgrade never happened and they are stuck with fish which have outgrown the tank. This is why we always advise not to get a fish unless you have a suitable tank now, not in a few years' time.
Well I stick with smaller size fish that wont grown more than 2 - 3 inches ..

Claims you don't need filters the Walstead way. Sure,if you also like investing $$$$ in a near fishless aquarium. Most of the "claims" of pure looking water without strong as you can afford filtration involve keeping dainty fish in lowest numbers.
Hence,I have a good filter- not the greatest- but no way I'm able to keep plants and visible amounts of fish without its turnover. In fact i might one day add a UV filter..I can see that as making a tank just better for it.

Here's two on youtube: Does every channel HAVE to use the host mugging? Its like when you make faces for the grandkids.
Also-- will any fish channel ever mention prices?..So far it's "follow the link"..and then find that Solar light they used is $1,200 for the pair over a 4 foot tank. Same for filters..to food and fish.

Here's one from today- Fluorescent lights and fixtures are like Model T Fords to get parts for. I like very much the color of my twin 48" fluorescents. When I went to Home Depot in my quest to add a second fixture and bulb like it? HD only had some cheap shop light with no glare guards. Ok,for $21..I can come up with something i thought. THEN,stopping at the local petclub and LFS..only to find neither has for sale 48" bulbs like I have anymore!
Its happened. The fluorescent purple gro lux lights that were made since the 70's are now like..end of the world stock being used up-lol.
I told my wife that to get as nice a color rendition in LED,I see I have to spend $100-160 when the day comes. I mean I need for the central part of the tank lighting that makes colors pop...a Budget light is fine for the leftover left side of the tank.
My unpopular opinion is ..aquarist today have no idea how much better lighting was for the dollar spent. LED?..budgets lights are poor colorwise. Expensive LED?..are EXPENSIVE!
btw...What good is this hobby if colors don't pop?..I don't want Rainbow fish to look brassy and flat colored instead of rich yellow and blue. Defeats the whole purpose of wanting a beautiful aquarium.

Here's two on youtube: Does every channel HAVE to use the host mugging? Its like when you make faces for the grandkids.
Also-- will any fish channel ever mention prices?..So far it's "follow the link"..and then find that Solar light they used is $1,200 for the pair over a 4 foot tank. Same for filters..to food and fish.
One that's REALLY been bugging me with pet channels (fish ones in particular) lately is I've heard the exact same type of hip hop/techno/whatever background music everywhere and it's driving me nuts. I think it's something of a trendy thing with YT videos in general but dear lord am I sick of it.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back