Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

OK, I will bite, why are they mean little turds and why did you not tell me before I went out and bought 22 more of the "turds:nerd:
I don't know. I've had neon tetras in the past and they've always schooled. It was a 20 gallon tank and they were fine until the black lace angels got large enough to look at those poor little critters as food. It was a community tank with other types of fish. The neon tetras never presented a problem. But, maybe it was the presence of bigger and badder tank mates? But, this was a pretty funny post!

I don't know. I've had neon tetras in the past and they've always schooled. It was a 20 gallon tank and they were fine until the black lace angels got large enough to look at those poor little critters as food. It was a community tank with other types of fish. The neon tetras never presented a problem. But, maybe it was the presence of bigger and badder tank mates? But, this was a pretty funny post!
I have 21 neons currently and they sort of school and sort of don't. At times they'll swim as one through the aquascape (a true sight to behold), at others they kind of just separate into smaller bunches, often with individuals hanging around by themselves in-between mingling with larger groups. They don't bother anybody either, themselves or other species. A lone male guppy that ended up in my tank on accident swims with them on and off (in fact their addition made him gain confidence).

There's another 20 black neons (plus 1 glowlight tag-along) that will soon be added out of quarantine so it'll be interesting to see what happens with those; if they'll mingle with the neons or just do their own thing on top of how their own shoaling behavior manifests.

: That I am the greatest expert at everything fish in the world.
Wait, maybe that's THE most POPULAR opinion in the world... or is as I tell it. :fish: ;)

had 10 and they constantly fought with one another, nipped each others fins, and even bit one of the face off one of them. Nothing but conflicts with them and they've started going after my other fish in the tank too, so I ended up rehoming all 10 lol

Theyre meaner than my skirt tetras and cherry barbs combined haha
Stop fibbing we know you flushed all ten.???

Hopping onto this very late, not sure if I've already added to this thread or not? But anyway, here goes!

1. Fake plants are vile and the best way to maintain them is by getting rid of them entirely ?.

2, Another is that some people on these forums are far too big for their own boots, insisting that people need the exact set-up that they have and bragging about their own tanks while their tank is vastly overstocked and their water unintentionally looks like a blackwater tank. (Not aimed at all, just a general observation.)

7C881A87-3646-47AB-AE94-A6E69FF4550C.jpeg

Unpopular Opinion: TTF is the best fish forum on the planet!!
I think it is now. I have been a member of lots of fish forums and most have shut down. The few remaining forums only have a few members left and not many people visiting or using them.

I would say this forum is certainly the most active fish forum now.

I think it is now. I have been a member of lots of fish forums and most have shut down. The few remaining forums only have a few members left and not many people visiting or using them.

I would say this forum is certainly the most active fish forum now.
Definitely better that that other one. (Not allowed to mention name...)

alright, everyone gets to share unpopular opinions they have. Fish related.

I'll start.

Neon tetras are mean little turds.
This is kind of true. Depending on the size and cover in a tank, neon tetras can be fin nippers. Chasing is just part of their behavior so we just need to stock community tanks with fish they can't damage.

Male Bettas can live with other male Bettas. No dividers needed.
Maybe in a spacious tank with lots of cover some male Betta will tolerate each other. However, you never really know if they will end up in a corner one day and change their minds. I think each fish is unique. My male betta is really aggressive to the point where he made a habit of attacking shrimp and stressing over his own reflection. Personally, I would never risk this set up.

Maybe in a spacious tank with lots of cover some male Betta will tolerate each other. However, you never really know if they will end up in a corner one day and change their minds. I think each fish is unique. My male betta is really aggressive to the point where he made a habit of attacking shrimp and stressing over his own reflection. Personally, I would never risk this set up.
He then followed up on that with a specific species of Betta. :)

Plecs are ugly. Not cute-ugly. Just ugly. And bristlenose. Even the albino. Actually especially the albino.
There. I've said it.
Sorry everyone.
I love how ancient they look and their striking dorsal fins. However, most plecos aren't exactly cute in the traditional sense (and I have a bristlenose). If I had to call one pleco cute, maybe the zebra pleco?

Ok, my turn.... Neon or brightly colored gravel and plants are hideous and should be banned from the Pet Trade!!
Sorry if you have Pink, Orange, or Purple gravel and plants, and I have offended you...
Actually, no, not sorry!! Lol... Gravel and plants should look natural, and not be Techno Colors!!
Phew, I feel so much better getting that off my chest!!! :p :D
I don't think it's fair to ban them. Yes, I want to cry every time I see a tank that looks like someone spun the color wheel too fast and it vomited everywhere. However, that could be the dream tank of young future aquarist who is engaging with the hobby for the first time. Let five year olds have hideous gravel and tacky decorations so long as someone is helping them keep the fish healthy.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back