Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

How is that what I said? You are not a criminal, I would be taking you as a pet not a punishment, prisons are a place to put people who have broken man made laws and are deemed to society as unfit to be among them , what I’m saying is no matter the animal human or fish to be taken from your natural habitat and placed in an artificial habitat how ever accurate or well it is kept is cruel as a punishment ok we have accepted that man has power over man and conform , but yeah a wrongly convicted prisoner is the same as a fish being taken out of its river and put in a tank
Regarding the prisoner analogy:
Provided I had a choice in the matter I would much prefer house arrest over a 6’x6’ cell.

Wild caught fish are another thing altogether, but the overwhelming majority of fish in pet stores/ online dealers are destined for a life of captivity anyway, that ship has already sailed, so to speak.

Also, if you want to get nitpicky about it, a lot of minimum wage jobs could be considered “cruel” to some extent.

Provided I had a choice in the matter I would much prefer house arrest over a 6’x6’ cell.

Wild caught fish are another thing altogether, but the overwhelming majority of fish in pet stores/ online dealers are destined for a life of captivity anyway, that ship has already sailed, so to speak.

Also, if you want to get nitpicky about it, a lot of minimum wage jobs could be considered “cruel” to some extent.
Minimum wage jobs are not compulsory though they are a reflection on the individual not all jobs can be paid the same as not all humans are capable of doing the job , wages are decided on what yiur job is and how it helps society, if a doctor gets paid the same as a cleaner .. that’s communist

We’re kind of stepping into politics here which we prefer to avoid as it can get heated. Let’s keep the topics here light.
The first post in this topic requests that this is for fish related unpopular opinions.

Last edited:
To say a minimum wage job is a "reflection on the individual" isn't very nice - I'm hoping you haven't meant it the way it has come across.

Not everyone ends up on minimum wage because they are lazy, or even because they are less intelligent, than the person who becomes a doctor. There are many very hard working, intelligent people who are stuck in low wage jobs - they many not have had the educational opportunities, they may have health problems, they may have family responsibilities that meant they were (say) looking after a sick parent from a young age, and didn't get the chance to spread their wings; there may not be any jobs other than minimum wage available where they live and they might not be able to move.

There are many highly intelligent, capable people who don't get the chance to reach their potential.

And wages don't always reflect usefulness to society - bin men aren't on a massive wage; care home workers are on minimum usually - and often zero hours contracts. If these two groups of workers went on strike we'd notice it a damn sight more quickly than we would if our useless shower of politicians (of ALL political colours) did.

Classroom assistants aren't paid what they are worth and have quite a lot of responsibility, as do children-minders - yet people expect them to work for practically nowt even though they are looking after the most precious things we have - our children.

I agree that there needs to be a disparity in wages though, to reflect the amount of training required and responsibility involved (if a shelf stacker puts the beans where the peas should be - nobody dies; if a doctor makes a mistake, somebody might) but it shouldn't be as great as it is.

People would still want to be doctors/ lawyers/ academics/politicians even if they weren't earning 100x what the cleaner does. Why? Because they are jobs with prestige, with pleasant (usually) working conditions - jobs where you can pick up extra income (private operations/lessons etc, and in politicians' cases, "directorships" and after-dinner speeches), where you can be deferred to (never underestimate the lure of power).

The minimum wage should be a decent standard living wage. Nobody should be working a full week and still not be able to pay their rent and feed their children* without state benefits - it is wrong, and is effectively a way by government to pick the public purse and put extra cash into the pockets of the wealthy.

Wealth does not "trickle down". People with money hang on to it, on the whole, and add to it. They don't make it available to people further down the food chain

*average family size - those people who chose to have very large families are another topic altogether

Anyway - rant over! (I was going to put a smiley emoji to show that I wasn't blaming anyone here for any of this but my emoji thingy seems to have disappeared! I hope we can still all be friends :) )
What I’m saying is minimum wage is a life line for people , people who arent educated and for people who have other responsibilities that warrants them not getting a better job , I don’t look down at anybody who is working paying taxes and such a jobs a job

We’re kind of stepping into politics here which we prefer to avoid as it can get heated. Let’s keep the topics here light.
The first post in this topic requests that this is for fish related unpopular opinions.
I'll delete - sorry

Big predatory fish bought so they can be watched eating live fish are done by part sadists!
Adult Discus bought and put into the normal plant and fish community tank are money down the drain...its wishing the Discus don't act like Discus.
Reef tanks are bottomless pits of money, and it's almost a sure thing the owner will stop after months or years and have nothing to show for the thousands spent. Memories maybe? ha. I still miss that big Sarcophyton I had..and pulsing Xenia's. sigh...

Just to be clear...I was not in any way dissing people with minimum wage jobs. I was talking specifically about an instance when I was in a local fish store and there were 4 or 5 employees standing around talking and looking at their phones while the poor little Bettas were trapped in these tiny little cups during a very hot July in the afternoon with absolutely no oxygen. I even asked them when the last time it was that someone had changed out their water and no one could give me an answer. It made me feel terrible and I felt it was very inhumane. Speaking about large fish store chains as ‘pet prisons’ is not that far from the truth. Although, it is more the lenient laws regarding the transport and keeping of live sea animals that should be re-evaluated because it is that leniency that allows the stores and people to get away with not taking care of them as they should. I know that many, but not all do take care of their animals. I just wish that everyone cared about them. “If wishes were horses, beggars would ride”.

What I’m saying is minimum wage is a life line for people , people who arent educated and for people who have other responsibilities that warrants them not getting a better job , I don’t look down at anybody who is working paying taxes and such a jobs a job
Please see my reaction to some of the comments that were made re: minimum wage jobs of which I have had many...BTW, I have 2 degrees, one of which is a B.S. from the University of Washington (that is not bull sh%@...LOL) I certainly wouldn’t say that minimum wage jobs are only for those that are uneducated.

Last edited:
Funny how i've spent a lifetime in the hobby and also in horticulture and gardening. Just as some are not for the hobby of fish in aquariums,just as many are against planting anything not native in the garden. Same philosophy.

Ok, my turn.... Neon or brightly colored gravel and plants are hideous and should be banned from the Pet Trade!!
Sorry if you have Pink, Orange, or Purple gravel and plants, and I have offended you...
Actually, no, not sorry!! Lol... Gravel and plants should look natural, and not be Techno Colors!!
Phew, I feel so much better getting that off my chest!!! :p :D
I actually agree with this tho I didn't originally. I went for bright neon coloured gravel thought it would look awesome ended up hating it and throwing it all away then went with white and brown's hated the white as just always looked dirty . Natural all the way now . X

Most reactions

Back