Unpopular Opinions (fish related)

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Exactly. People think Tanked is a cool show, but they just use so much artificial decor, it just looks cheesy and desperate. :no:
Again I think Iā€™ll use the word ā€œnoveltyā€. Designing these tanks with a specific interest or personal theme kind of takes theā€naturalā€ beauty away. But hereā€™s one thing you might want to keep in mind. We all know how long it takes to cycle and stabilize a new planted or natural decorated tank. Then thereā€™s the cost of the fish that likely wouldnā€™t survive in a new natural environment. Fake environments and habitats cycle quicker with less aggressive algae. This opinion is just a thought. I always try to think of the reason behind the controversy.

Again I think Iā€™ll use the word ā€œnoveltyā€. Designing these tanks with a specific interest or personal theme kind of takes theā€naturalā€ beauty away. But hereā€™s one thing you might want to keep in mind. We all know how long it takes to cycle and stabilize a new planted or natural decorated tank. Then thereā€™s the cost of the fish that likely wouldnā€™t survive in a new natural environment. Fake environments and habitats cycle quicker with less aggressive algae. This opinion is just a thought. I always try to think of the reason behind the controversy.
Iā€™m no saying their tanks arenā€™t cool, they are. But they could be doing so much more with all the money they have.

I donā€™t think they even give their customers the option of having live coral?

Iā€™m no saying their tanks arenā€™t cool, they are. But they could be doing so much more with all the money they have.

I donā€™t think they even give their customers the option of having live coral?

Well, the customers are the ones who decide what the tank will look like. Also, corals (as far as I know) are relatively difficult to look after, so it's probably better that those people don't have live ones.

Well, the customers are the ones who decide what the tank will look like. Also, corals (as far as I know) are relatively difficult to look after, so it's probably better that those people don't have live ones.
If they are rich enough to pay for that, they would be rich enough to pay for someone to upkeep it. ?

Get the ? on them as they sound a cross between Neons and piranha ?

I've had these in the past and black neons and always been peaceful schooling fish...very weird situation ?
I love Black Neons, but my LFS never has them in stock. :grr:

How about 'Tanked' and 'River Monsters' were the worst teachers of aquarists? I never saw a tanked that was realistic or looked like the fish would be long term. The whole instant gratification with big bucks ruled.
River Monsters? Well,when you call those magnificent large freshwater fish monsters,demonize them and perpetuate myths?..you are a near eco terrorist and I have zero respect for the host, "A biologist"..who seems all too happy to sink a large hook into large old breeder fish of the rivers of the world. Any guilt trip he has goes away with every check deposited into the bank.
I've always wondered about how the aquariums on "Tanked" fared in the long term. I've never seen them cycle anything (do they transfer used filter media?) nor do they acclimate properly. They mostly do marine projects (which I know little about) but the tanks often seem overstocked. Furthermore, some of those designs look like a nightmare to clean.

I'm a fan of planted tanks and natural looking hardscapes so I might be biased but some of their work looks like it would be uninviting to fish. I guess they don't want their celebrity clients to be burdened by the maintenance that comes with planted aquascapes or reefs. Maybe they just don't know much about it themselves.

DIE, HERETIC! ?

<sharpens pitchfork>
I think it's a matter of preference. I'm on the freshwater side of the hobby but I wouldn't be opposed to a saltwater tank. It's just that I love planted aquascapes and there's already an extensive list of freshwater species I'd like to explore. Yes, reef tanks are amazing and saltwater fish tend to be flashier on average. Still, there's no shortage of fascinating freshwater inhabitants (ropefish and bichir, vibrant African cichlids, and dynamic tightly shoaling tetras just to name a few).

Cold water, taking them out of water to see how long they can live, no water changes, freezing them and then saving them at the last second, etc.
People do this on purpose? I suppose I should have expected such from humanity. I was under the impression that most simply haven't done their research and wanted to imitate photos of "fashionable" betta vases and bowls. That and they're too lazy for water changes, not fully understanding the detrimental impact on their animal's health. While both present a dire situation for the fish, the idea of someone mistreating betta intentionally is particularly sickening.

I hate corydoras, they have nothing good or interesting, they are mega overrated, they are ugly, boring, and dumb. I hate them I will never have corydoras.
That is very strongly worded. I'm don't particularly like the look of certain gourami species (giant gourami for example) and probably wouldn't keep them even if I had several hundred gallons of water. However, I don't hate the entire species. Do you have a vendetta against them simply because they're so beloved in the hobby?

OK, here's an unpopular opinion: Pets (certainly fish, but even furry, relatively smart ones such as horses and dogs) are property, not children, and shaming someone who decides to get rid of an animal is just plain ignorant.

Of course they are living things, and by taking them on we are making a commitment to meet their needs, to the best of our ability, as long as they are under our care. And of course, some people do form emotional attachments to some animals, and most of us have experienced a very special one that does indeed feel like a true part of the family. That is natural and good. I am not being cold-hearted, just real. Pets aren't people. We buy and sell animals. We do not "adopt" them; they are not children. (I tend to think that people who refer to pets as their children might not understand animals or children)

As such, there is no shame in responsibly selling, trading, or otherwise rehoming our animals if our circumstances change, they prove incompatible with the life we want to lead, we need the money, or we simply see a different one that we want more.

There. I said it.

Edit: This mini tirade is not pointed at anyone on this forum. It's just something I see a lot in the real world, and since we're sharing pet-related opinions, I thought I'd throw it out there.
I think there is shame in buying an animal without doing any research beforehand to know whether or not you are capable of meeting its needs. I also think there is shame in mistreating said animal, out ignorance, laziness, or malice. However, I don't think it's wrong to re-home or sell your fish if can't provide adequate care or have lost interest in them. It's better than the alternatives (potentially slipping into neglect).

However, this gets complicated when you're dealing with highly social and intelligent animals like dogs. Your fish or reptile probably isn't attached to one person in particular, even if some species may recognize individuals. A dog, however, may suffer emotionally from the perceived abandonment. If a dog becomes difficult to live with, an owner should try to make adjustments so that the situation improves instead of sending their pet away. Sometimes it's just a bit of training or attention that's needed. Only in truly dire, unsalvageable situations would re-homing be the right choice.

I agree they arenā€™t children, and I despise people who treat them as such.

We have all seen those spoiled pets in movies or even in real life - donā€™t get me wrong, I love my dog, but Iā€™m not spending $35,000 on a dog house with a heated floor. (Not joke, a guy actual spent $35,000 on his dogs dog house.)
Why install an expensive heated floor when you can just add some bedding or, better yet, invite the dog inside when they've had enough of the cold.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back