Reaction score
Blogbkg2-1.png

A South American Endemic Rainforest Paludarium Build
inc. Dendrobates & Killifish
by
BigC​

TFF-welcome-1.png

dart3-1-1.png

(18/03/2010)...Spawned from an idea I have been harbouring for quite a few years now, I have decided I would like to try my hand at building and stocking a Paludarium, which would eventually become home to both Poisonous Dart-frogs (Dendrobatidae) & my beloved Killifish. Building a natural looking environment to accommodate both natural occurring land and aquatic species and all that entails would surely lead to a stunning visual display, once complete.
It is envisaged that I will use my original wood cabinet as a stand for the Paludarium and a new custom made glass tank would have to be constructed to remain within the constraints of its footprint. I'm planning on building a 625 x 312 x 610 (LWH) tank. complete with land and water segments.
I wish to keep this as natural as possible (modelled on a South American Rainforest biotope)
I hope to include some hard landscaping to include, tree roots, branches and exotic planting.
I will need to do a lot of research on this project surrounding the frogs themselves and also the flora, something that I'm sure I'll enjoy.
Please follow as I proceed with this venture, join in with your comments and suggestions as I make this journey into the semi unknown.

OriginalTank.jpg

Potential Paludarium...minus the new, taller tank

dart3-1-1.png

(19/03/2010)...After much consultation and dialogue with many frog enthusiasts, it seems that the most idiot proof PDF species (within reason) is the Yellow-banded Poison Frog (Dendrobates leucomelas)...see pic below

dend_leucomelas0003_lg.jpg

Whilst not the most colourful species in the world but it has become apparent that they present less demands upon their owners and may be more suited to the environment I have in mind. Another worrying factor to all this is the fact that PDF's do not swim too well so provisions will have to be made on that score to minimise accidents. I haven't given this aspect much thought to date but it needs to be addressed as I intend to keep a few gallons of water within the eventual set-up.

Please note I will keep all the journal together in this top thread/post. and will announce updates below as new and exciting developments are made.

I look forward to having you on-board for the ride.
Regards
BigC

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back