Uk Law On Tattoos

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

minxfishy

Fish Maniac
Reaction score
Strange place to ask, but maybe there are some law/policemen/women or tattooists frequenting the forum that might be able to help.

My 15yr old son has Ive just found out had a tattoo on his arm/shoulder area, this wasnt done by a professional place but by his 23rd old step-sister! Iam, beyond livid. I know the age is 18 in the uk and a shop/parlour I would be able to report, but how would I go about reporting his sister? He knows my feelings on having a tattoo and so does she, so they have both gone against my wishes.

Im now also looking into how much for laser removal of the tattoo.

if she works or owns a tattoo shop she can lose her license if you report it as you say 18 is the law for tattoo's 16 or under with parental concent if she has no shop or does not work in one then unfortunatly there is nothing you can really do did the sons father concent to the tattoo?

as long as she does not work in a shop nothing you can really do as she has no licence to take away

maybe you could get her done under something else if your determined to like i dunno assault or something?? or if you report her to the licence people they may never give her a licence???

ash

My friend went through something similar a few yrs back. Her 14yr old sis had a tatt done by a friend's 22yr old sis, who wasn't licensed.

Ended in the mum having charges of ABH brought against the person who did the tatt.

I would personally talk to a solicitor x

My friend went through something similar a few yrs back. Her 14yr old sis had a tatt done by a friend's 22yr old sis, who wasn't licensed.

Ended in the mum having charges of ABH brought against the person who did the tatt.

I would personally talk to a solicitor x

Thats exactly where it goes, charges of ABH. Its illegal to tattoo someone under the age of 18, but you also need to own a licence and tattoo in a licenced and sterile place.

As for laser removal, go into a tattoo parlour near you with a good reputation, or even go to your doctor, and ask them about it

Ok thanks, no his Dad knew nothing about it either, he is as angry as I am about it. She doesnt own a shop or licence or anything, she does her own has all the necessary equipment and under no circumstances would I or his Dad agreed to it. I will go to the local police station and see about bringing charges of assault against her, but it will likely come to nothing, I just cant believe someone would be so irresponsible as to do this, I wont be letting my kids see her again.

i can't see it being classed as assault as he probably let her do it?

where's Simonas, when you need him?

but under UK law surely at that age he is not legally able to make that kind of choice,
that is why the law states you have to be 18 to get a tattoo.

If it were my child, yes I would talk to a lawyer about sueing (civil matter)
for ABH as well as pursuing a criminal complaint.

Yes he agreed, he has wanted one for ages, but I have told him that he cant whilst under my roof plus he isnt old enough, so he went ahead and done it anyway, but she has broken the law in doing it, it is illegal to tattoo anyone under 18 in the UK, so even though she isnt licenced surely she cant be allowed to get away with it, if I was to take a kid and permanently scar them, I would be breaking the law and expect to be punished accordingly.

I know laser removal would leave a scar, plus apparently painful, but sometimes, unfortunately, people have to learn the hard way, which probably sounds harsh, but I wont let this ugly thing stay on his skin, better to have it removed now, than to leave it, because he will regret it later on in life.

Just a few things to read if you like
http://www.parentdish.co.uk/2010/01/05/parents-give-children-homemade-tattoos/

http://www.thesite.org/healthandwellbeing/appearance/yourbody/tattoosandpiercings

at the age of 15 he can;t consent as you probably know

to bring charges you would have to make a statement to the police and take your son with you, having said that I would be very surprised if the Crwon Prosecution Service decided to charge purely and simply because they are charging very little lately hence why the courts are so quiet!! The police are as unhappy as we are about that

Its worth a try though Minxfishy. You must be fuming I know as a dad I would be

Tattoo removal costs a good few quid, with his age and the circs maybe the nhs would foot the bill

Thanks Simonas, Ive already told him Im dragging him to the police station Monday morning, will tell them what happened, give her details and see what they say, like you say, they probably wont prosecute, but a severe word with her might make her think abit, Im just disgusted that someone I let look after my child, trusted to be responsible for him, would do something like this, regardless of what he wanted or not, he's a child, she is an adult, with a child of her own, should have trusted my instincts and kept him well away.

what kind of tattoo is it? a professional looking one or an inky dink? I know it makes no odds either way to you now like?

where's Simonas, when you need him?

he can;t consent mate due to age thats why under age sex is statutory rape due to lack of consent.

I;m available 24 hours a day 365 days a year ha

Most reactions

Back