FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Hey guys!! I have no clue what these little “eggs” are, are they truly eggs? Or are they poop? I do have cheese cloth (white) around the filter so my bettas fins don’t get shredded, would the snail eat this? (Lol, I have a Zebra Nerite snails, I didn’t tell you guys that! ;))

It showed up yesterday, sorry for the fuzzy photo, but it’s the best I’ve got. Thanks you! :)

If you need a picture of the cheese cloth, just let me know! ;)
F3893034-9E87-472A-9E28-2F5B24A47BAD.jpeg
35D45EA5-85E8-4A3D-B0E2-738A082D31F7.jpeg

I don’t see what your talking about. Can you circle it?

Do you mean the small, sesame seed-like white dots on the decor? Those are nerite eggs. The good news is they will never hatch and over populate the tank with snails. The bad news is they will never hatch and will just stay there unless you scrape them off. They are well stuck down; they can be removed from things like rock, but it is almost impossible to remove them from wood. The wood in my tank has been covered in nerite eggs for years. I've got used to it.

Thank you so much! How do I get them to hatch? Maybe just 1 pr2 eggs I want to hatch. Thanks! :)

All I know about hatching nerite eggs is that they need brackish water. Google will help you fine the correct salinity etc.

So they’d dont need to be fertilized? that’s cool!!

You need a male and female for fertilised eggs, but that doesn't stop a lone female from laying unfertilised eggs. The worst case of eggs occurred in my tank when I had two snails of the same species. I ended that by moving one of them into the betta's tank.

There are sites that give a nerite's lifespan as 1 to 2 years. However, I have two nerites which I bought from an Ebay seller in July 2011 - one zebra nerite and one variously called tracked nerite, red onion nerite etc (orange red with black markings). Yes, I do have a notebook of what I bought and when. My other nerites aren't quite as old - one in December 2013 and the two I had to separate in December 2014.

I didn’t ask how to tell how old they where, did I.?

I’m just wondering (respectfully) why you mentioned the 1-2 year life span, is my ZN, close to death? :(

Sorry, I was just trying to give some more information, and in particular to say not to believe everything you read on-line (though you probably know that anyway). I like nerites and don't want people to be put off buying them if they think they are always short lived creatures. Yes, I have had nerites that die in a year or two but they can live a lot longer than most sites tell you.

Ok!! Thanks you so much! As much as I would LOVE to breed Nerite snails, I just don’t want the trouble!! Thanks you so much for your time @essjay ! ;)

You need a male and female for fertilised eggs, but that doesn't stop a lone female from laying unfertilised eggs. The worst case of eggs occurred in my tank when I had two snails of the same species. I ended that by moving one of them into the betta's tank.

There are sites that give a nerite's lifespan as 1 to 2 years. However, I have two nerites which I bought from an Ebay seller in July 2011 - one zebra nerite and one variously called tracked nerite, red onion nerite etc (orange red with black markings). Yes, I do have a notebook of what I bought and when. My other nerites aren't quite as old - one in December 2013 and the two I had to separate in December 2014.
I keep a notebook like that too. Lol!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back