Two Filters Or Not.

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

Metta

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So I've finally got my 240L tank setup equipped with the Fluval 307 external filter. I now have two options for tomrrow to either add some of my old filter media to the Fluval 307, and also to the internal U4 filter and run them both so my fish can go straight in.

My other option is to run both external filters together but if I done this when can I remove the old external and run only the new one?

Only problem would be your beneficial bacteria is split between two filters. If one goes away you loose a lot of that stabilizing bacteria.

Only problem would be your beneficial bacteria is split between two filters. If one goes away you loose a lot of that stabilizing bacteria.

I get that. So maybe just put as much media into the new external don't want to have to cycle :( then maybe add all the spare media just sat in the tank?

I get that. So maybe just put as much media into the new external don't want to have to cycle :( then maybe add all the spare media just sat in the tank?
That could work. I'd still do a mini-cycle to check. You could probably drop some food in there and if its at 0 in a week, you should be ok. @Ch4rlie, any thoughts?

That could work. I'd still do a mini-cycle to check. You could probably drop some food in there and if its at 0 in a week, you should be ok. @Ch4rlie, any thoughts?

I'll be putting my fish in tomorrow too as it will be my only tank. It's an upgrade. So need to get this right.

Am a bit confused.

What tank and filter do you have running at the moment?
And this has a U4 internal filter?

And am assuming you now have a new 240 litre tank with a new fluval 307, nice.

But you say you have two external filters?

And youā€™re wondering how to move everything from the old set up to the new set up or you plan to run both?

Sorry if this is an obvious question but somehow am trying to get it in my head whatā€™s happening!

How many and what type offish are you adding? Too many all at once risks getting a mini spike

I'll be putting my fish in tomorrow too as it will be my only tank. It's an upgrade. So need to get this right.
Oh. Ok. Is it planted? If you use old filter media and it is planted it will most likely be alright. If not it will assuredly stabilize pretty quickly.

Am a bit confused.

What tank and filter do you have running at the moment?
And this has a U4 internal filter?

And am assuming you now have a new 240 litre tank with a new fluval 307, nice.

But you say you have two external filters?

And youā€™re wondering how to move everything from the old set up to the new set up or you plan to run both?

Sorry if this is an obvious question but somehow am trying to get it in my head whatā€™s happening!

Hi mate, sorry very tierd. So I have a 125L Fluval tank running a Aqua one 700 series external. I now have a 240L Roma tank with a new Fluval 307 External.

The Aqua one only does up to 200L and the pipe fitment would not work. I also have a spare U4 Internal. I would like to run the new filter adding as much old media and add my fish tomorrow. My only worry is not being able to get all the media into the Fluval 370, as there different layouts. I can get all the ceramics in and maybe some foam but not all of it. Then I will use the rest of the new media that comes with the 307. Would it best to add the remaining left overs into my internal U4 filter and run them along side. OR place the filter media inside the tank for a week or so? My thoughts on running two filters is that the bacteria would be split. So running the primary filter would be the best way If I could avoid a cycle.

So you only want one tank up and running, the 240 with the 307 Fluval.

And closing down the 125 and aqua one 700 external filter.

Is that about right or are you planning on keep running both tanks?

So you only want one tank up and running, the 240 with the 307 Fluval.

And closing down the 125 and aqua one 700 external filter.

Is that about right or are you planning on keep running both tanks?

You are correct mate, only running the 240L with 307 Fluval if I can!

Right, sorry for all the questions, so wanted to get it right before I suggested anything.

Since youā€™re closing down the 125 and aqua one filter.

Move all the filter media from the aqua one to the 307, cut the sponge media if you have to, to make it fit into the trays and filter, add all the ceramic noodles, bio balls or whatever other media there is, all of it into the 307 in whichever order that Fluval recommends on the instructions.

And if there is still space in the new filter, add sponge media, add new ceramics with the established media to fill it up. The more media, the better.

Just donā€™t squash it all on too tightly if you get what I mean, just fill it without going OTT.

You may well get a mini cycle but the established bacteria in the old media will quickly form larger colonies to establish all over your new filter media, filter housing and tank surfaces.

And the mini cycle should not take long to do, anything from a day to a week usually.

Just keep an eye on water parameters and do large water changes anytime you see ammonia over 0.25ppm and/or nitrite over 0.5ppm.

Your plants should help a bit as well so all good imho to do all that.

Addition of floating plants will help a bit more as thatā€™s a fast growing plant and sucks up loads of nutrients from the water column helping your ammonia and nitrate levels, so thatā€™s good advice from @HoldenOn.

By the way, I am a fan of Fluval tanks and filters, I have had a Roma tank before, quite nice and does exactly what it says on the tin and not had a 307 external yet, Iā€™m interested in buying one of those maybe for my new 180 Juwel Vision tank or maybe get a Eheim 350 external, not decided yet.

So if you like the 307 filter and could let us know the pros and cons of that, that would be terrific!

Right, sorry for all the questions, so wanted to get it right before I suggested anything.

Since youā€™re closing down the 125 and aqua one filter.

Move all the filter media from the aqua one to the 307, cut the sponge media if you have to, to make it fit into the trays and filter, add all the ceramic noodles, bio balls or whatever other media there is, all of it into the 307 in whichever order that Fluval recommends on the instructions.

And if there is still space in the new filter, add sponge media, add new ceramics with the established media to fill it up. The more media, the better.

Just donā€™t squash it all on too tightly if you get what I mean, just fill it without going OTT.

You may well get a mini cycle but the established bacteria in the old media will quickly form larger colonies to establish all over your new filter media, filter housing and tank surfaces.

And the mini cycle should not take long to do, anything from a day to a week usually.

Just keep an eye on water parameters and do large water changes anytime you see ammonia over 0.25ppm and/or nitrite over 0.5ppm.

Your plants should help a bit as well so all good imho to do all that.

Addition of floating plants will help a bit more as thatā€™s a fast growing plant and sucks up loads of nutrients from the water column helping your ammonia and nitrate levels, so thatā€™s good advice from @HoldenOn.

By the way, I am a fan of Fluval tanks and filters, I have had a Roma tank before, quite nice and does exactly what it says on the tin and not had a 307 external yet, Iā€™m interested in buying one of those maybe for my new 180 Juwel Vision tank or maybe get a Eheim 350 external, not decided yet.

So if you like the 307 filter and could let us know the pros and cons of that, that would be terrific!

Wow! Thanks for that reply. I will do as you say above. So the filter media in the aqua one is different to the 307. So would it be okay to still cut it in sections so it does fit? Failing that could I put some floating media inside the tank?

Once the tank has cycled should I replace with the correct media for the external?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back