Twin Fin Guppy.

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

jesusjones

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I thought some of you might find this interesting,

I recently found a guppy in my tank that was sporting a tail that looked like it had been eaten right down the middle by fungus. Causing the fish to have 2 round fins at the back. The thing is, fungus was not the cause he was just born that way. and I think the coloring on the tail proves it. I know some guppies can have something similar to this but it's definatley not the same as what this guppy has.

I'll get some pictures up if anyone is interested, I haven't taken any yet.
any ideas as to why it happened? and if I should make sure he doesn't breed?

Cheers,
Rudy

never heard of a twin finned guppy, why wouldn't you want to breed him? I think it would be cool.

picture (best I could get)

Attachments

• IMG_0211_1_.JPG
    IMG_0211_1_.JPG
    40.4 KB · Views: 22
That is an interesting tail shape. Do you know if it is the result of damage when it was young or do you suspect it is genetic damage? If it is a genetic trait, you might be able to breed her and get it to carry on. The next question would be whether that is desirable. Personally, I detest the balloon mollies that have come out in the last few years but, for the breeders, they have been a gold mine. If you think you have the equivalent of the next balloon molly, it would be crazy to throw it away. If you think the fish is substandard, you do not want it to breed. It is a decision you will need to make for yourself.

Well that's why I posted it here. I have a strong feeling it is genetic. There have been no outbreaks of fin rot or anything in my tank for some time. And usually only 2-3 days after the fin rot has gone away there are signs of tail regrowth. So far I have not noticed any on this fish. In my head I think he was born that way. I think I would be able to tell if it was from physical damage.

Would any one out there buy guppy's with tails like that? I personally think it's pretty cool. But not extremely fancy looking or anything. But maybe her kids would turn out nicer.

Either way. I wanted to share this neeto fish with everyone.
Cheers,
Rudy

that's a pretty fish! I'd love to buy one if it were available ^^

Very intersting I have never seen a fish like this. I as well think it is a genetic trait as if it hasn't healed it is genetic. I would NOT throw this fish away. I would breed it as as OldMan said it will be a new craze, especially if you can get a male with these traits.

Good luck!

D&D

The insde edge of the fin look's to straight to be normal, i'm suspecting the the fish was damaged at some point.

Fins to grow back but if the damage in down to the base of the fin it will not.
This is what u would suspect here.

Best thing is to breed it 3-4 generation to see if you can get it back again.

yeah iv seen these there are loads of them for sale in the fish shop by me with the same tail shape and diffrent colors.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back