Reaction score
ok I have a 29 gallon tank with:
1 male swordtail
2 female swordtais
5 white skirt tetras
2 panda cories
1 skunk cory
2 otos

I am adding 2 more skunks and 1 more panda as soon as I can find some. I would prefer black fish (or fishes) to finish off the tank in order to contrast the white skirts, but I want all or mostly black and not black skirts, I was thinking maybe 1 angel? how about a rainbow shark? I don't preferably want any more live bearers either, so what are you guys opinions?

your tank is too smal for an angel.
how about a black molly?

I think a rainbow shark would be ok as long as you have a cave of some kind for it. You could think about otos, they are mostly black and are different from the fish you have already.

I full grown rainbow is like 6inches long. I have one and he is kind of aggressive especially to other bottom dwellers. how about some black neons? I think they are cool looking.

I was thinking black neons, but they get bigger then reg. neons and I wasn't sure if I could fit a whole school (5 or 6) in my tank without overstocking it, So I was thinking a decent sized fish and just 1 (or 2 max) mollys are more brackish water right, and I wasn't sure if they would try and breed with my swordtails... I dunno such a delima, what I need are some black swordtails that would work but I've only seen 1 and that was a male, and I've not got the room for another male sword, I wish this was easier!

Mollies don't need brackish, they do just fine in fresh, and I don't see what is wrong with the mollies breeding with the swordtails unless you are breeding for... I can't think of the term but you get my drift :look: Every other black fish I can think of will eat the rest of yours, so I'm at a bit of a loss there...

Salt is good for mollies but they are adaptable so it isn't essential. They may try to breed but won't get anywhere. Mollies can inter-breed with guppies, and swordtails with platies, but it generaly doesn't happen in any other combination. The problem with them breeding would be the resulting hybrid fry which should then not be sold so would be impossible to re-home. Also, i doubt 5 black neons would create much more waste than one 4 inch molly. Still, a molly might be a good idea.

yeah I kinda don't want anymore livebearers, because I've not had any fry in 5 months with these swordtails (1 male 2 female) and i'm not complaining (knock on wood) as the orginal tank plan was angel fish and so any fry would just be a treat for the angels, but the plans changed as it was one of my first tanks (kinda set up two at about the same time) and I didn't feel ready for angels at the moment but I wanted fish in the tank so I filled it with other stuff and now I don't have room for angels :-(, so 5 black neons would probably fit then? because I think they have a wonderful bright black color to them and would really provide some contrast with the white skirt tetras, thanks for all the input.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back