Trouble with Mollys

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ftbetta

Reaction score
Hey everyone, so I have a few Mollys in my tank that are getting me a little worried.

I have had a very healthy tank with some cory cats for quite some time now (well, like a year and a half?). There are three of them. I added 3 mollys a few months ago, a clear one, an orange one, and a black one- and they did fine for a while, then I started have two different issues.

1- I knew they were live bearers, I kinda figured when it was said that they normally eat their young, that they would like, eat all of them, and I wouldn't have to deal with it. However, there have been three now, that have survived by hiding in things or whatnot, and survived long enough and became visible enough that my 6 year old son saw them and wanted to save them. So I started putting them into one of those little breeder boxes. One has lived about two months, and then there is a younger one thats been in there about 2 weeks. What do I do with all these fish? I only have a 10G tank, with the 3 cory cats, and the 3 adult mollies I feel like I'm already pushing the tank limits as far space. I do frequent water changes, so everything stays clean, but I don't have room for baby fish, right? Is there a place that I can humanely give them to?
1.5- Is there a way to identify which ones are male and female so I can give that one up and stop having them reproduce? Other than the colors or the fish, I don't know for sure which ones are having the babies. I've looked at pictures of males and females and pregnant fish and whatnot, and I feel clueless. I can try to get some pictures to put on here, but I will have to look up how to post pics again.

I have a black, clear and orange one, and the three babies I have seen are clear, clear, and orange. I don't know anything about fish genetics, does this say which fish they are coming from?

2- So the two baby fish are still in the little breeder box, but my black molly seems to be being very aggressive towards both other fish (the clear and orange ones). Thankfully he doesn't seem to care about my corys too much, because I am more emotionally attached to them as I have had them much longer, but the black molly has me worried. Again, can you take fish out of the tank and give them to somewhere? I feel like I got in over my head with these mollies and I don't want any of the fish to suffer because of it.

Yes, you can defiantly move fish to other tanks. :)

Pictures?:)

I don't think it would hurt to have a couple more Mollys in your 10gal. maybe put a few live plants in there to help with water quality but that would mean more hiding spaces resulting in more babies. You could always leave the babies in the tank and the chances are they wouldn't survive but I don't think your 6-year-old son would like the idea of that :).
It is pretty easy to sex male and female Molly fish but a few pictures would be great as Mollys come in all shapes and sizes. If you did that, I could point out to you which are what gender.

I use to take my platy fry to my Lfs. They were happy to take them off my hands. It is super easy to sex molly and platy fish. Males have what looks like a little horizontal stick called a gonopodium underneath their bodies and females have more of a fan shape underneath. You can find plenty of pics to look at if you Google it.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back