Triops Died Need Help

As long as it has no chlorine and/or chloramine in it. I often just use dechlorinated tapwater.

It's only been a few days though, eggs will hatch out, without using DI water or similar it can take a few days to a week. Possibly more. Have patience, they will hatch out.

Also, as I said, this is all assuming that there was no chemicals that killed your last batch off.
There possibly was...i sprayed some deo-derant (sp?) that could have possibly ended up in the water...if i go home tonight and they havent hatched im going to consider emptying the tank out and will hunt out some de-ionised or possible some dechlorinated tap water, is there any benefit to using still water over tap ?

Tap water is still water, without knowing the stats of either one, they are both just as good as each other except tap water is cheaper :good:.

Just get a decent value dechlorinator like seachem prime, or if it's just for a triops tank the tiny £1.50 bottles of stress coat will do.

Tap water is still water, without knowing the stats of either one, they are both just as good as each other except tap water is cheaper :good:.

Just get a decent value dechlorinator like seachem prime, or if it's just for a triops tank the tiny £1.50 bottles of stress coat will do.
Hi mate came home checked and theres no sign of life, ive got a big bottle of still water that ive had since thursday un-opened, there wouldnt be any chlorine in there by now would here? im thinking empty the water right down to the sand then add the still water heat it add eggs and hope there isnt any chemical left in the tank, think there would be any left in the sediment/sand?>

If you just sprayed a bit of deodorant in the room, I doubt that will of really harmed the triops, unless you really go overboard ;) lol.

I'd just give it time, some will eventually hatch out.

If you want them faster, then you can just add the water :good:. It might not help if it's very hard water, but since it doesn't say on the packet there's no way to tell unless you have a test kit. Doesnt really matter, as it will do no harm anyway :good:.
If it had any chlorine in it, and then you left it open for a while, the chlorine would have been released as gas anyway. And I doubt bottled water would have chloramine in it.

So your good to go :).

If you just sprayed a bit of deodorant in the room, I doubt that will of really harmed the triops, unless you really go overboard ;) lol.

I'd just give it time, some will eventually hatch out.

If you want them faster, then you can just add the water :good:. It might not help if it's very hard water, but since it doesn't say on the packet there's no way to tell unless you have a test kit. Doesnt really matter, as it will do no harm anyway :good:.
If it had any chlorine in it, and then you left it open for a while, the chlorine would have been released as gas anyway. And I doubt bottled water would have chloramine in it.

So your good to go :).
wow man quick reply didnt expect to hear from you until tomorrow now lol
well, i'll empty the water, i have a hunch the water may be too old to use for this particular generation.

so my jobs for tonight.

1 empty water and just leave the wet sand
2 add some still water from the bottle
3 add some MORE eggs lol
4 install heater and add light
5 pray
lulz

Possible success?

Okay sean listen to this lol
did what i said above last night, slept with the damn light on, got up light was on, left to work, came home mum had turned the light off..:( i was a bit gutted because of all this effort and stuff started to seem a little much for something like triops, i sat down on my bed and turned the light on over the tank and decided i'd give it one final push before switching everything off and putting it all away, because it just not worth it, i had a bath went training my mate picked me up about 7:30 got back and it appears to have sparked life a medium sized dot trying to swim to the top and crawling over the ditritus, now this could just be a fairy shrimp or whatever but i doubt it is now all im hoping is a few more will hacth tomorrow lol will update with pics on there progerss bud if your at all interested ;)

Hi. I keep my triops in a 14 x 8 x 8 inch tank of dechlorinated tap water with a heater, sand substrate, plus a handful of pond mud and filter gunk. I hatch the eggs in an ice cream tub of bottled water floating in the tank. On day seven, I start adding 10% of tank water to the tub each day until it it 90% tank water, and then dump them in their own tank to grow on.
I still get some losses, but I think everyone does.

Hi. I keep my triops in a 14 x 8 x 8 inch tank of dechlorinated tap water with a heater, sand substrate, plus a handful of pond mud and filter gunk. I hatch the eggs in an ice cream tub of bottled water floating in the tank. On day seven, I start adding 10% of tank water to the tub each day until it it 90% tank water, and then dump them in their own tank to grow on.
I still get some losses, but I think everyone does.
very cool i will try that on my next batch and tell you how it goes...*thumbs up*

Theres one definetly hatched, im really really really hoping i'll get 2 or more but i remember the first time i hatched triops the original...my zoidberg...he laid thousands of eggs before his death but only he hatched out of the kit itself.., but it was alot more fun when several of his eggs hatched and made it to adulthood, four i believe far more entertaining to watch them all do there own thing, if more eggs do hatch what can i do to prevent cannibalism? i'd have thought the obvious would be feed often enough but it seems triops never seem to not be searching for something to eat, anyone know wether having a full belly would stop a baby running into a larvae and eating it...?

Nope, triops just eat, eat and eat more.

There's always eggs hatching out in triops tanks, but the adults just eat the babies.

Only thing you could do is move the adults and wait for the eggs to hatch.

Nope, triops just eat, eat and eat more.

There's always eggs hatching out in triops tanks, but the adults just eat the babies.

Only thing you could do is move the adults and wait for the eggs to hatch.
his doing fine/she/whatever thinking of naming him either Fry, Spongbob, Patrick, or Homer any idea's ive got a few people liking patrick and

anyhoo some more questions dude ? okay well a looong time ago i asked the question of selectively breeding triops right? and you said it wasnt pluasable because there genetics basically vary very little, well today im gonna ask if thats correct how can i guarantee a longer life span? if there life spans arnt genetically varied then it must be outside forces that decide how long they happen i.e diet water quality or w/e ?

oh and was wondering the waters evaporating quite quickly, so i added a very small amount back in today am i okay to add some more tomorrow after work?

When I had triops, Using just a shop-bought bottle of Spring water is fine. One time I even used the old rainwater from my water butt. Are you sure they haven't hatched? When they first hatch they are so small it makes it really hard to see them.

i recently got some triops and put two dozen eggs in the tank, unfortunately only two hatched and grew to about a inch and a half in size, i realized they were too big for thier tank and put them in a bigger one, they died the next day so i think that they just can't take big changes, after all, they are just little bugs, if i were you, next time you try to hatch triops, hatch them in the environment that they will be in for the rest of thier life, and if you ever add water or do a water change, make it less than 10% a day

if you didnt know already, triops die in about 4 weeks lol.

if you didnt know already, triops die in about 4 weeks lol.
Only if you keep them improperly IME (such as in the tanks they are sold in).

10 weeks is actually very easy and normal IMO if kept in a small filtered tank, and I've heard of 14 weeks being possible.

6-8 weeks should be expected, any less than that and assume something has gone wrong with water quality or temperature.

balapickerel - Thats good advice for someone new to triops or fishkeepin :good:.

It's not hard to transfer triops to new tanks though, they should just be accimitised to the different water slowly, I've found over a few hours works great. Basically just treat them like freshwater shrimp like CRS and you'll be fine. Though they are very hardy, change is not something that they do well.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back