Triops Died Need Help

conner2008

Reaction score
Well i dont know whats went wrong..they hatched last sunday/monday and ive been at my girlfriends since saturday when they were fine heres whats changed since.
-I added alot more water...de-ionised what they hatched in but had it heated to 22 celcius beforehand
-put a heater in the water rather than using a lamp 24/7 which my mum kept turning off and which kept me awake
-added a little more sand

to be honest im pritty gutted they died ive got more eggs i can add to the water right away as ive hatched two generations beforehand these would have been the third generation from the original pack...

any idea's on whats gone wrong and wether or not i can simply add more eggs, (given water volume ect) without having to thru the process of drying them all out ect which will take time, when if im absoloutly honest id love to be able to start again straight away rather than wait

Ive added some extra eggs to the now probably useless water...just to see if they bother hatching

Hard to say what went wrong really, could have been chemicals from anywhere that got in the water.

As a side note, I wouldn't use DI water after they hatch, it can cause very rapid swings in pH and hardness. While Triops should be able to take this, its not a good idea in an environment as small as a Triops tank, as if any bacteria or animals die, ammonia levels could shoot up and have a knock-on effect.

hi got some quick questions if you wouldnt mind answering them that would be great.

-so what your saying is after theve hatched add bottled water rather than just pure de-ionised?..how long after they hatch ?
-i see tanks that are full of water, but i have doubts they'd survive if they started off in such a volume of water, so how do they get it to this depth? (slowly adding water ect?)

-at what point can i turn the light off and add a heater, because the light keeps makes it harder to get to sleep (there in my bedroom) and my mum keeps turning it off lol

thanks man if everything goes well tomorrow i will start them up again before going to the gym and will post pics up if they make it to adulthood this time.

also just wondering if there is any problem with doing it like this
-draining the water thats in there now, instantly filling it back up with fresh -de-ionised water then adding more eggs
would there be any reason why i should it sit a while if im adding more fresh eggs?
thank you your always a big help when it comes to triops

-so what your saying is after theve hatched add bottled water rather than just pure de-ionised?..how long after they hatch ?
Yep, it's probably not totally critical, but using just deionised water would cause the water stats to change every time you added it, how drastically depends on what's in the tank. I would just use dechlorinated tap water though.
As soon as they start eating food off the bottom of the tank, say two days.

-i see tanks that are full of water, but i have doubts they'd survive if they started off in such a volume of water, so how do they get it to this depth? (slowly adding water ect?)
Possibly how they do it, but there's nothing bad about large volumes of water, as long as there's enough food. That's why it's best to use lots of debris and dirt from fish tanks and ponds, and why triops tanks should have a light (to encourage algae and ifusoria growth).
If you can only get a small amount of dirt, then it's better to use smaller volumes at the start. But once they start eating normal food it doesnt matter.

-at what point can i turn the light off and add a heater, because the light keeps makes it harder to get to sleep (there in my bedroom) and my mum keeps turning it off lol
Add
a he
ater whenever you want. It's best to keep the light on 12 hours a day, but if you have a filter it doesnt matter too much.

-draining the water thats in there now, instantly filling it back up with fresh -de-ionised water then adding more eggs
would there be any reason why i should it sit a while if im adding more fresh eggs?
No big reason, but if it's been set up in advance it should be full of food for young triops. If you leave it, the eggs that didnt hatch from the last batch will probably eventually hatch and grow anyway (presuming there wasnt any outside containments).

I would just add more eggs without draining water. If your eggs have a poor hatch rate, then drain about half of the water then add more back in. Left over eggs should then hatch. Remember they dont all hatch at once :good:

No problem at all.

Yep, it's probably not totally critical, but using just deionised water would cause the water stats to change every time you added it, how drastically depends on what's in the tank. I would just use dechlorinated tap water though.
As soon as they start eating food off the bottom of the tank, say two days.

Possibly how they do it, but there's nothing bad about large volumes of water, as long as there's enough food. That's why it's best to use lots of debris and dirt from fish tanks and ponds, and why triops tanks should have a light (to encourage algae and ifusoria growth).
If you can only get a small amount of dirt, then it's better to use smaller volumes at the start. But once they start eating normal food it doesnt matter.

Add
a he
ater whenever you want. It's best to keep the light on 12 hours a day, but if you have a filter it doesnt matter too much.

No big reason, but if it's been set up in advance it should be full of food for young triops. If you leave it, the eggs that didnt hatch from the last batch will probably eventually hatch and grow anyway (presuming there wasnt any outside containments).

I would just add more eggs without draining water. If your eggs have a poor hatch rate, then drain about half of the water then add more back in. Left over eggs should then hatch. Remember they dont all hatch at once :good:

No problem at all.
Okay man so i havent drained the water but i added some extra eggs they didnt hatch tho imassuming its because i turned the light off and the temp dropped below what it should have, if i put the eggs in now...in the already used water...and leave the light on can i expect hatchlings because on mytriops.com i read that once the waters been used the "something" pressure of the water will tell them its too late to hatch or something

Individual eggs seem to have different osmotic pressure triggers.

Some eggs only hatch in older water too, just they never get noticed because bigger triops eat the new hatchings. This is so in nature the eggs don't all hatch out in tiny pools that will dry out too fast, they wait until it has been wet for a while indicating it's rained a lot and not just a little, resulting in bigger pools that they can carry out their full life cycle in.
Some eggs also hatch almost immediately after being laid, just in case the pool lasts for a long time there will always be triops in it.
Some eggs wait for the osmotic pressure to drop after adding water, so that not all eggs in nature hatch out in just a small puddle that will dry out too fast, they wait for a second rain.

Draining half the water and adding new DI water will trigger some to hatch, but so will leaving the eggs for a while with a heater and the light on for around 12 hours a day:good:. How fast they hatch out is up to chance (as far as I've read anyway, unless there is new studies), a day to a week is normal IME.

so what were saying is im good to add some eggs to the old water right now lol
If so i'll stick the light on and add some eggs

Hi buddy i fell asleep last night and my girlfriend was around so....you know....was wondering wether i'd get away with hatching them in just "still water" otherwise im just gonan do the above tonight
oh and also would simple mud from the garden sufice? a thank you..seriously you rock at helping when it comes to triops

Hi buddy i fell asleep last night and my girlfriend was around so....you know....was wondering wether i'd get away with hatching them in just "still water" otherwise im just gonan do the above tonight
oh and also would simple mud from the garden sufice? a thank you..seriously you rock at helping when it comes to triops
Okay so basically i just followed thru with using the water that was already in the tank from when the last ones died, put a heater in and a lamp over it, added some more eggs, the water had like some weird blobs on the surface...like if i use a stick to mix the water on the surface im breaking up a thin film/layer or something see thru...? dont tell me thats bad news and will effect my attempt lol please wish me luck i'll update you on how it goes three-fingers, by the way..whats your name? mines conner (obviously) *offers handshake*-best i can do over the net, nice to meet you and just to say i really do appreciate your help.

The thin layer on the surface is either a biofilm or proteins, nether are very bad, I'd just change a small amount of the water if possible. It should eventually clean up on it's own if you have a filter :good: .

Names Sean *shakes hand* lol, no problem :).

Hey sean, still no activity at all...:S they usually hatch about 24/hours after i add the eggs (for me anyway), im struggling to find de-ionised water anywhere at the minute:S was just wondering if you can use still water just "still" not distilled or anything, it doesnt offer a dry residue on the label or anything but mentions nothing of minerals/anything ?

Hey sean, still no activity at all...:S they usually hatch about 24/hours after i add the eggs (for me anyway), im struggling to find de-ionised water anywhere at the minute:S was just wondering if you can use still water just "still" not distilled or anything, it doesnt offer a dry residue on the label or anything but mentions nothing of minerals/anything ?
Oh yeah i forgot would rain water be more effective? it may have been sat for a while tho

As long as it has no chlorine and/or chloramine in it. I often just use dechlorinated tapwater.

It's only been a few days though, eggs will hatch out, without using DI water or similar it can take a few days to a week. Possibly more. Have patience, they will hatch out.

Also, as I said, this is all assuming that there was no chemicals that killed your last batch off.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

• Chad
    Reef Tank, Crustacean, and Puffer Enthusiast

Members online

Back