Trial And Error

minnnt

Fish Expert
Reaction score
Setting up a new planted tank (got the bug back again!) only this time i wanted to up my game a little so i have decided to have a go with a yeast co2 system. This has took some drilling into my thick brain from Proxo who has been a god send with regards to helping me getting it up and running! So... THANKS VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!! :D

Right, here we go.

The tank is the one i found on the rubbish heap at work.

TANK: 24x15x12
LIGHT: 2 clip on LED's
FILTRATION: Small internal but going to put my APS 1000 on it tomorrow
SUBSTRATE: Fine 'natural' gravel and a small area of Tesco Cat Litter
HARDSCAPE: Sumatra wood and river cobbles
Co2 & FERTS: DIY yeast/sugar (1/2 tsp and 2 cups respectively for the mix) and EI ferts.
FLORA: All sorts, lol. Haven't decided completely, a bit of a trial and error process. May try a Glossostigma carpet? :/
FAUNA: Cherry Shrimp

Here are a couple of pics of how it's turned out upto yet. Nothing final by any stretch of the imagination, just felt the need to have a bash. The co2 system will be hooked up tomorrow once the silicone has cured. Plan to distribute it around the tank with a small powerhead. May get some kind of a diffuser but need to read into them more.

Pics:

Shrimp Tank by David Raynham, on Flickr

Thoughts, comments, advice and abuse all welcome :D

looks good mate...

how have you gone about it with the yeast??

Is that 24" or cm?

Thanks Ian. Needs some work but it's a start! What do you mean how have i gone about it? :unsure:

And inches. :good:

I like, makes me want to scape another tank :sad: lol.
Did you buy that wood on the left or steal it from a tree? I really need some more wood but it's pretty expensive stuff, talking £10 for pieces like that and then there's massive chunks for say £20,
makes the £10 price look even worse :shout:

Don't be drinking that moonshine now :sick:

I can proudly say that both pieces of wood are bought and pair for... which is a shame really. :lol:

Unipac Sumatra Wood. Alot cheaper than others. :good:

Setting up a new planted tank (got the bug back again!) only this time i wanted to up my game a little so i have decided to have a go with a yeast co2 system. This has took some drilling into my thick brain from Proxo who has been a god send with regards to helping me getting it up and running! So... THANKS VERY MUCH!!!!!!!!! :D

Right, here we go.

The tank is the one i found on the rubbish heap at work.

TANK: 24x15x12
LIGHT: 2 clip on LED's
FILTRATION: Small internal but going to put my APS 1000 on it tomorrow
SUBSTRATE: Fine 'natural' gravel and a small area of Tesco Cat Litter
HARDSCAPE: Sumatra wood and river cobbles
Co2 & FERTS: DIY yeast/sugar (1/2 tsp and 2 cups respectively for the mix) and EI ferts.
FLORA: All sorts, lol. Haven't decided completely, a bit of a trial and error process. May try a Glossostigma carpet? :/
FAUNA: Cherry Shrimp

Here are a couple of pics of how it's turned out upto yet. Nothing final by any stretch of the imagination, just felt the need to have a bash. The co2 system will be hooked up tomorrow once the silicone has cured. Plan to distribute it around the tank with a small powerhead. May get some kind of a diffuser but need to read into them more.

Pics:

Thoughts, comments, advice and abuse all welcome :D

Nice tank, you really found it on a rubbish heap?! Lucky you! Lol :)

I love the lefthand scape but I don't know what to think about the right hand. It currently seems a bit out of place...

Are you having a 60 cm tank and only putting shrimp in?! Can't be true.... :shout: Add at least a borara or cpd shoal, otherwise it is a waste of space :lol:

Hmmm, i know what you mean Biulu, thanks for the critique. I'm not completely sold on it either. :/ What would you suggest i do?

The plan was to have the left hand piece of wood pretty densely and highly planted then have a carpet of Glossostigma to surround the right hand piece of wood. Triangle-esque i guess?

I have just purchased the following, but won't get delivered until next Thursday!!! :sad:

Glossostigma Elatinoides (2 pots)
Echinodorus Barthii
Hydrocotyle Leucocephala
Rotala Rotundifolia
Hygrophila Corymbosa

Could always change it into a scape with a pathway through the wood :), dense planting either side and the path where the gravel changes.

Lol, the pathway was originally the plan but somehow it turned into this. :/

Yours and SBS's 70L tank were the inspiration for the most part. I may just remove the smaller piece of wood, it does look a little naff?!

I think it will look good if you had it planted both sides mate but up to you, nice to know my tank inspired you tho. :)

Yeah we'll see. Might remove the wood and then research some styles whilst i'm waiting a week for my plants to come. :shout:

skrimps! You are no good at having fewer tanks hehe - looking forward to stalking this one too :)

I had 3 tanks anyway Emily so it's not another one, just a rescape that has led to something a little more high tech (in theory anyway!) ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back