Treating Wood

meyerev

New Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2009
Messages
37
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Platteville, WI, U.S. of A.
I would like to be redirected to a article about how to treat wood so it can be safe in a tank. But if there is not already a discussion would anyone care to enlighten me on what is needed to be done to allow branches be put in the tank and/ or create artificial driftwood.

Thanks,

M
 
My own experience is limited but all I did was take a nice dry piece of apple wood and cut it off my tree. The branch had been dead about a year at the time. I removed the small amount of bark still clinging to it, scrubbed it with a brush in the kitchen sink and screwed it to a piece of slate with a stainless steel screw. I have now had it in my endlers colony tank with some java fern attached to it for a few years with no troubles.
A few key points, I know I don't spray my apples so no chemicals to worry about. It had been dead and air drying for over a year so no sap to worry about. Apple is a very dense hard wood so it was fairly easy to get it to sink with just a bit of weight added by the slate. Fruit woods are fairly safe in terms of any chemicals that might leach out of the wood if it were not properly dried.
 
White cedar is a soft wood that has a heavy sap production. My own thought is that I would avoid it.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top