Treating new plants for snails

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

ostrow

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Some will know of my snail problems earlier. I thought I'd report on my new results.

After nuking the snails and my tank, I bought Red Wendtii, a small green sword (dwarf amazon sword?), and anther plant that has a fern-like look but whose name I do not remember I fear.

Anyway, after carefully removing them from pots and rinsing under room temp water, I did the following:

I filled a large aluminum roasting pan with water and added Jungle Products Clear Water (the liquid, not the tablets) at the rate of two capfuls per gallon. I let the plants soak for about 20 minutes in this solution (I used latex gloves when handling this potassium permangenate stuff as rumor has it that it stains. But this is pretty diluted.)

After soaking, I removed the plants, emptied the water from the roasting pan, rinsed the pan then refilled with more water. To this, I added Had A Snail as per instructions for drops per gallon. I then put the plants in and rinsed them in this solution. You need to rinse the Clear Water stuff off the plants before putting in the tank.

I then planted them in the tank with a Flourish Tab and added a few drops of Flourish to the tank water.

No snails (and there WERE snails and eggs on each plant, purchased from two different lfs). Healthy, growing plants.

This may work for others.

Well done m8. A good description of what to do as well. We'll get you writing article next.
Glad to here your all snail free now.

VERY well written mate ;)

Good clear concise instructions and dare i say it "idiot proof" :laugh: :laugh: , like adeyc said we'll have you writting articles on the subject in no time :D

Thanks. I am expert on killing more than just snails, it would seem, so if you need any other such posts! :laugh: :laugh:

Oh, one thing I failed to mention, the method above also kills parasites, bacteria, and other nasties that new plants may bring to a tank...

Aren't we all good at killing fish when we first start out. Nothing new and will continue till we as humans stop putting fish in glass containers for entertainment. Rose

Speak for yourself, Rose!

Mine is acrylic.

:laugh: :D

You can use to "disinfect" Aluna too. (Aluna = some kind of Al-salt)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back