Transfering filter media from internal to external system

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Vorpal

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm setting up a new (bought used) aquarium with an external pump and filter for the first time. My question is about transferring sponge filter media from an internal pump & filter, eheim pick up series. The external pump & filter is eheim 250 and has different filter media. One is a fine, fibrous medium. The other is a sponge type, but much coarser than what is in the pick up series pumps. Which filter medium should I part replace? The sponge?

Thanks in advance!

Eheim seem to have 2 external filters with the number 250. The Classic 250 is a cylindrical shape while the Professionel 4+ 250 is square in cross section. Which model do you have?

According to Eheim's website, the Classic 250 can have several sponges and a white pad or a single sponge, substrat pro (sintered glass balls) and a white pad. What you describe sounds like the former - several sponges and a white pad.
If this is what you have, I would cut up the Pickup's sponge to the same shape as one of the sponges in the 250, and use it to replace the 250's sponge that is the second one up from the bottom.

Yes, I have several sponges and a white pad, so I'll do as you suggested and replace a middle sponge with media from other aquariums. That's kind of what I was thinking anyway.

Amazing I really appreciate because you posted the link! Thank you so much.

Regards.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back