total newbie in at the deep end!

manoverboard

Reaction score
apologies for the very long post with various questions... and sensitive fish lovers might want to skip this :sick:

Our new housemate brought a few fish with her, in a bucket.
Supposedly they were going to be picked up by a knowledgeable friend, who never showed up. There was also a fishtank, which was left on the back patio. She's basically disappeared leaving half her stuff and obviously doesn't give a flying one about the fish. There was some Stress Zyme which I figured I should add a little of occasionaly, and food flakes which I used sparingly (on the days I noticed, with a sinking feeling, that they were still there.) There were seven fish. One died after about a week or so - I noticed the stink in the kitchen. I eventually decided I couldn't tolerate it any more when I phoned the 'housemate' about rent etc and she didn't even mention the fish. I wanted to try and save them rather than let them die miserably or kill them. This was Monday (8th Dec). They were in the bucket at least a month.
I have never kept fish before, never even considered it. I didn't have even half a clue. Nevertheless I thought it better to at least try, just do something to give them a chance. Considering this, please try to forgive my utter ineptitude in these early days. My housemate's outstandingly crap advice didn't help much "oh we've got a fishtank at my parents' place, I know roughly how this works" He washed out the tank and it's gravel, I repaired the lighting unit (got one of the two tubes going anyway - the wires had all been cut - duh?) put it in place and filled it with water - freezing cold tap water. Stuck the filter and heater in and turned them on. Then chased the fish round the bucket with one of those laundry detergent net bags or caught them by hand and plonked them in. The water was still bloody cold and chlorinated. The little 'catfish-type-thing' actually blacked out I think, floating sideways and motionless. I nudged it with my finger and it recovered somewhat. Realised these were probably not coldwater fish and started topping up with kettle water (had only filled halfway anyhow so far) and put the heater on it's lowest setting (20deg). Tuesday stabilised temp at 25 according to the sticker thermometer - can they be trusted by the way? Wednesday I got some chlorine treatment at last and did a partial water change. I used just enough for the volume - slightly less actually as I figured a lot of the chlorine will have naturally dissipated by then. Stupidly I put the last of the stress zyme in before sorting the chlorine out.
I obviously needed to get a clue so I have been learning as fast as I can on the web - including a lot of lurking on these forums - this place is a godsend.

I have:
approx 30x11x14" tank, about 16-18 uk gal. hood has daylight flouro tubes. Filter is Hagen Fluval 4 (not plus) with standard coarse sponge media only. (surely OTT for the tank size) Heater is Rena Cal Classic 300W (again seems over-specced). There is less than an inch of medium gravel, no plants. I put a couple of pots in there for hiding places.
The fish are:
2 common Pleco's (uh-oh!) one about 5", the other half as big.
4 various Gourami's - smallest is definately a 'blood red' Dwarf others not sure, largest is light blue with 2 dark spots on each side. The one that died was the same as this only larger, maybe 4".
All are definately looking a lot happier and healthier than they were Monday. The Gourami's were decidedly grey compared to the colour and pattern that is showing on them now. They are showing no signs of disease, nor wounds other than slight fin damage in some.

Later today I should have time to get some bacterial culture, test kits and a few plants. There's another Q: anyone recommend a quality lfs in Bristol? (one of the trickiest things to find out as a noob!)
I figure the Ammonia will be starting to rise sharply soon, though I've been feeding sparingly. I'm hoping generous doses of bacteria and some plants will minimise the danger. I know water changes are needed too - is 25% every other day ok? About feeding - are flakes enough at the moment, considering there's no algae yet for the Plecos? Should I turn my oversize filter down to minimum strength? It's midway now. The fish often hide beside it, is that a sign the current's too strong? Also I had the nozzle breaking the surface at first for max oxygenation but it was very noisy; I now have it about an inch below - is that okay?

They might not survive the cycling. Or they might fade away a few months down the line from some permanent damage caused by all the stress they've been through. I'm pretty optimistic - if they can survive the Bucket of Doom they must be hard as nails. I'm growing fond of them already, their personalities, their amusing quirks and their grace.

way to go man
you are the fishy hero they will talk of you for generations to come.

sounds like you are well on your way and have already done quite some research
as you have already figured those plecos will need a larger tank

as for food, they will probly be ok for now, just keep an eye on ammonia nitrite etc

the cycle will be tough, but as you say the bucket of doom will not have been easy on them either, and they will either be hard as nails, or so stressed and weakened from it that the cycle will finish them off - sorry to be so blunt

but hey, look on the bright side, they may just make it

test your water frequently, the urge may be to do water changes lots to ease the stress, but that may prolong the cycle so be cautious

you cant really buy bacteria cultures, though some of the cycle products are supposed to be helpful, there is some doubt round these parts, never used them and am quite sceptical myself.

but at this stage i dont think it will hurt at all

good luck
keep us posted

Wow, you've done a wonderful thing. I wouldn't bother buying anymore stresszyme as the bacteria you are searching for is present in the palnts you've added. Instead, I would buy Ammolock. The ammolock does not in anyway remove ammonia however, it converts it to a less toxic form for the fish. It may (will) help them survive the cycle. Also, Nitrasorb is a pillow that is put in the filter and helps absord nitrites. This will also help the fish but I would like someone elses imput before you take my word for it. The nitrites are a necessary component of the cycle and if the Nitrasorb helps convert the nitrites to nitrates then it would definitely be beneficial to you. If it simply destroys nitrites or something then you would want to avoid it as it would affect your cycle.

Good luck. No matter the outcome you've done a good deed. Maybe you've acquired a permanent new hobbie.

Manoverboard, you are TRUELY a hero......and doesn't it feel GOOD!!! :D

You will love the Gouramis, at least I do. They are funny and graceful and FRIENDLY. Mine eat out of my hand. :wub:

We will turn you into a fish addict in no time :whistle: Did I say that :*)

The Flame is a Dwarf and won't get above 3". The Blue with spots are Three Spot (3rd spot being the eye), or just Blue Gouramis. They can get around 4-5" and are more aggressive. Not evil or anything like that, just will keep the other fishie in line :p

Thanks for the supportive comments - much appreciated :nod: 'Hero' eh? Maybe they'll build a little statue for me out of gravel and gunk :lol:

Found a good lfs - the guy there really seems to know his stuff and there's loads of weird and wonderful critters, all very healthy looking, plus he helped me out with a couple of freebies! I bought some Stress Coat, put a squirt of that in. He said Stress Zyme is a bit useless because it just breaks down waste but doesn't actually do anything with the components. He reckons you can't really get good bacteria off the shelf. I asked if I could pay him for some matured filter media or something and he gave me about a kilo of matured gravel to spread around. I got five assorted plants, a blister pack of frozen bloodworms (mainly for the Plecos) and a full test kit. :X The little buggers are getting expensive already!

Will do the tests soon; don't think I'll worry about Ph right now unless it's way out.
Should I use a block of bloodworms straight away, and how often?
The lfs didn't mention ammolock - wouldn't that prevent the bacteria from using the ammonia?

They're looking less nervous by the way - the Gouramis all gathered at one end, not hiding, and watched me put stuff in. As soon as I finished interfering they were eagerly exploring the new plants, curious as cats!

I also turned the filter down and pointed the nozzle at the side to break the stream as it was blowing the plants around a lot, especially the debris.

I can't add anything else to this that hasn't been said but wanted to comment on a few comments made to you, manoverboard...

way to go man
you are the fishy hero they will talk of you for generations to come.

Wow, you've done a wonderful thing.

Manoverboard, you are TRUELY a hero.

I couldn't agree more with these statements. :)

To maybe ease you a bit, this is how most people get into this hobby. Maybe not the exact way but total beginners all on our own and sometimes even given bad advice from the onset. You would feel like a Fish God compared to me if I told you my trials when I first got into the hobby.

I hope you get as much out of it as the rest of us do and will be in this hobby for years to come. Lord knows, if anyone deerves to enjoy it, it would be you.

BTW, the questions you have now, you will be so much more advanced than this in just a matter of a couple months. So please just hang in there. You won't regret you did. :)

if you do end up using ammolock, read labels, it won't work with some test kits and will end up giving you false readings. jsut a little fyi

Aren't you nice?!

:D

I hope it is going well by the way. Also, maybe try some algae wafers for your plecs. I think what you're doing is really great and I'm sure the fish appreciate it. Lets hope your silly cow of a housemate (sorry!) realises what she's done if she sees the fishes happy in your care.

:clap:

When you look back at it, it is kind of funny because you really didn't know what to do. Just picture it. :D But that was a one heck of a Herculean effort on your part to do SOMETHING for those poor guys.... :smb: I hope they turn out to be the most beautiful aquarium fish you will ever see - and they are in your possession.

9.8, 9.8, 9.9, 10, 10, 9.9, and an 8.5 from the Russian judge.... :fun:

great job! saving fish is so rewarding, you'll be obsessed in no time :D
as for the cycle, i would say from my experience, that a great way to speed it up is to cut the corner off of one of a mature filter sponges and shove it in with your filter media. i did that to a tank that was stuck with a ton of nitrite and within two days the nitrite was at zero. so i'm sure it would help with the whole thing, b/c all that great bacteria just multiplies like crazy! good luck with ur fishies. ~dEx :*

PLEASE keep us updated....most people would've just flushed them....you did the right thing and if they are still alive now they will probably will be fine.

I find this forum to be VERY good but like everything, everyone has different opinions.....you will learn what is right for you and your fish in good time.

And yes fishkeeping is expensive, or it is to start with, once you have test kits and everything it's not that bad. Though I am sure you will eventually will want more fish once everythig ends up OK with these guys.

CONGRATULATIONS on all your efforts and good luck

Angela

25-30gallon (??)
6 neon tetras
6 glo light tetras
6 red platies!!

Many plants

A ceramic car, a ceramic skull on a motorbike

Hollow ceramic log.....airstone

BLAH BLAH BLAH

when you visit your aquarium ask them for a little gravel it helps start up your tank and always have (ich)cure on hand .a medical tank with a small cave,no gravel,and an airstone,heater.ich occurs when fish are subjected to stress an low tempertures.also know as white spot disease.these parasites are present in all fish and only release when the fish is stressed

Started testing water at the weekend. Kinda surprised to see my Ammonia is at 0 already?! Didn't use ammo-lock or anything. Nitrites are 2-5 ppm, nitrates are 10 ppm. ph is 7.6. Do I need 'Nitra-sorb' or something, or will the bacteria catch up naturally before it gets dangerous?

the bacteria will continue to grow and help with the toxic levals but I would do a small water change if the levels start to get to high. You don't want to slow the cycle but you don't want the levals too high... does that make sense? sometimes with me it's hard to tell lol.. Keep up the great work & welcome to the hobby

Hi manoverboard and welcome to the forum. :hi:

Congratulations, you are indeed a "Fish Hero!" :clap:

I think you have a good idea, at this point, of what needs to be done, so I'll just add a few comments and answer a few little questions that haven't already been addressed.

You were very lucky to have been left gouramis. Part of the reason they survived in such a small amount of water is because they are labyrinth fish, that is they breathe air. They are related to bettas--the Siamese Fighting Fish--that you see for sale in little cups of water. They are beautiful fish and you will certainly enjoy them. :thumbs:

What became of the "little catfish thing?" If it was a corydoras catfish, it, too, can get at least some of its oxygen from the air. Any idea what it is? :unsure:

Don't worry about your water's Ph. Whatever it is, it is better to just leave it alone. Unless you plan to keep certain very fussy fish, forget about it. The same goes for ammo lock and nitrosorb.

Spirulina disks or algae wafers are good food for your plecos and you might find that the gouramis like them, too. You will want to feed your fish balanced diets with some meat (worms), veggies (algae wafers or spirulina disks) and some kind of flake food for the rest.

One of the best things you've done so far was to locate a good lfs (local fish store). And the bacteria in the gravel you got from there will rapidly multiply. You are already well on your way in that area! :D

On the other hand, by doing this you are running the risk that you may have introduced a disease to your tank. :eek: You made the right decision, however; I'm merely mentioning this as a caution. Since your fish did get a chill, be on the lookout for tiny white specks that look like it was sprinkled with salt. This is ich, which is very common and easily treated if it is spotted quickly and treated right away.

Oh, one more thing --- If your housemate comes back looking for the fish -- DON'T GIVE THEM TO HER!!! :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back