Total Beginner

Steve1969

Reaction score
Hello peeps,Iā€™m Steve,Iā€™ve just bought a 25L tank with the intention of having some neontetras in it,the tank came with a heater and a pump/filter combined,there is nothing else with the tank,it has a lid with a light in,there is no gravel,plants or anything,Iā€™ve bought it second hand so itā€™s been used.
I know nothing at all as Iā€™ve never had a tank before so Iā€™ve joined this forum from the word go so I get off on the right footing.What are the first things I should do,any help will be greatly appreciated,Iā€™m going to collect some books Iā€™ve just bought off market place in a minute to help me aswell.
Kind Reguards
Steve

Hi peeps Iā€™m steve
Iā€™ve just bought a 25L Tank and am a total beginner,Iā€™ve bought the tank second hand so itā€™s been used,it has a heater and a filter/pump combo with it,it has a lid and a light in and nothing else,my intention is to put some neontetras in as I love the colours.I joined this forum as soon as I got home with my tank so I can get good advice and get off to a well informed sensible start,Iā€™ve just bought some books off market place too Iā€™m going to collect them in a minute,what are the next steps I should take? Any advice will be great fully received
Kind Reguards
Steve

Hello Steve. Welcome to this forum. You have a very small tank and have quite a challenge ahead of you. Good luck and have fun.

Hello Steve. Welcome to this forum. You have a very small tank and have quite a challenge ahead of you. Good luck and have fun.

Thanks10 Tanksim not sure where to start to be honest,Iā€™ll be patient until I get some good advice šŸ˜€

Hello peeps,Iā€™m Steve,Iā€™ve just bought a 25L tank with the intention of having some neontetras in it,the tank came with a heater and a pump/filter combined,there is nothing else with the tank,it has a lid with a light in,there is no gravel,plants or anything,Iā€™ve bought it second hand so itā€™s been used.
I know nothing at all as Iā€™ve never had a tank before so Iā€™ve joined this forum from the word go so I get off on the right footing.What are the first things I should do,any help will be greatly appreciated,Iā€™m going to collect some books Iā€™ve just bought off market place in a minute to help me aswell.
Kind Reguards
Steve

Rather than books (which can be out of date with current thinking), ask on here :)

The first lesson in fish keeping is don't listen to anyone who works in a store. So many of them haven't a clue and just want to make a sale. Always research first rather than take their advice.

Next to fish keeping itself.
As you are in the US, I presume the "25L" tank is a 25 gallon long tank rather than 25 litres? 25 gallon long is a good size for neon tetras.
When you bought the tank, was it still running or had the previous owner emptied it and left it to dry? If it was still running, there could well be some beneficial bacteria left but if it was empty and dry there won't be.
So the first thing is to cycle the tank. I'm afraid this will take some time before you can get fish. You mentioned plants, does this mean you are aiming for a tank with live plants? If that's what you intend you can do a plant cycle; if you meant synthetic plants, you'll need to do a fishless cycle.

Fish excrete ammonia, but this is toxic. When there are a lot of fast growing plants in a tank, especially floating plants, these take up ammonia as fertiliser and they turn it into protein. When there are no live plants, a colony of bacteria grows which turns ammonia into nitrite, which is also toxic, and a second bacteria colony grows which turns nitrite into nitrate. To grow these bacteria before fish are put in a tank, we add ammonia from a bottle.

Plant cycling involves setting up the tank and planting it. It's a good idea to take a photo of the newly planted tank so you can see how much the plants have grown over the next few weeks. Once the plants are showing active growth, it's safe to add the first batch of fish. The ammonia and nitrite levels need to be monitored daily to make sure the plants are removing all the ammonia made by these fish. If they stay at zero for a week, the next batch of fish can be added.

For fishless cycling with ammonia, there's a step by step method on here.

When setting up the tank, think about what fish you want. You've mentioned neon tetras, but any other fish? If you want bottom dwelling fish such as corydoras, sand is better than gravel. Play sand is a lot cheaper than the sand sold for aquariums.

While the tank is cycling is the time to think about fish. Books may or may not mention water hardness as a lot of people have no idea this is important. Fish come from water that's hard or soft or somewhere in the middle. Neon tetras, for example, are soft water fish.
It is easier to keep fish which come from water with similar hardness to our tap water. If you are on mains water, your water provider's website should give your hardness; you need a number and the unit of measurement (there are several units they could use). If you are on well water, you may have a quality report; or take some tap water to s fish store and ask them to test for GH. Make sure they give you a number. And if they use strips to test with, ask what is the highest level the strip can measure as some don't measure very high.

Now that I've bored and confused you, ask any questions you need :)

No that wasnā€™t boring at all lol,firstly Iā€™m in Lincoln in the uk,my tank had been emptied when I collected it. So the first thing that I do then is to add the pump,heater gravel rocks and plants,fill the tank with tap water and turn it all on? Am I correct in assuming that?the tank is indeed 25 L
Thanks
Steve

Ooops, I must have mis-read your location :blush:

Unfortunately I have some bad new for you. 25 litres is too small for neons unless it's an unusual shape and is 60 cm long. In the UK, small tanks are often cubes, or up to 45 cm long if they are rectangular. This is why research is important. There are so many websites that it is confusing with all their contradicting information. Anyone can set up a website with little actual knowledge. There is one site which, while not 100% perfect, is written by experts and is the go-to site for many of us.
This site tells us the hardness, pH and temperature needed by a species; the minimum tank size; whether it needs slow or fast flowing water; compatibility issues; any quirks like needing a certain type of food and so on.

We have another member from Lincolnshire @CaptainBarnicles and she has hard water. It would help a lot in suggesting suitable fish if you could look on your water company's website for hardness - yours might be different.

Iā€™ve just been on Anglian water site and the info I got is as follows
Water-Hard
Fluoride-0.290 mg/l
Chlorine-0.290 mg/l
With this additional information,now I know that neons arenā€™t an option in my 25L tank which fish would you suggest I get?
Thanks
Steve

Thanks10 Tanksim not sure where to start to be honest,Iā€™ll be patient until I get some good advice šŸ˜€
Hello again. A 6 gallon or 25 liter tank will limit you on the fish that you can keep. You can keep a few small Tetras or Danios, possibly some Guppies. The smaller the tank, the more often you must remove and replace most of the tank water. If I was keeping a very small tank, I would remove and replace half the water at least every three to four days. Remember, the more water you change and the more often you do, the healthier the fish.

Ooops, I must have mis-read your location :blush:

Unfortunately I have some bad new for you. 25 litres is too small for neons unless it's an unusual shape and is 60 cm long. In the UK, small tanks are often cubes, or up to 45 cm long if they are rectangular. This is why research is important. There are so many websites that it is confusing with all their contradicting information. Anyone can set up a website with little actual knowledge. There is one site which, while not 100% perfect, is written by experts and is the go-to site for many of us.
This site tells us the hardness, pH and temperature needed by a species; the minimum tank size; whether it needs slow or fast flowing water; compatibility issues; any quirks like needing a certain type of food and so on.

We have another member from Lincolnshire @CaptainBarnicles and she has hard water. It would help a lot in suggesting suitable fish if you could look on your water company's website for hardness - yours might be different.
Thankyou for your help I really appreciate it bud
Reguards
Steve

I have a 15 gallon tank (56 liters). I made the mistake of paying little attention to it after awhile, thinking I had it going great (I did, but didn't realize how fast things can deteriorate). Because of the small size, I have to pay a lot more attention to it than tanks I've had in the past. The less water, the more easily drastic changes can occur and the faster it can negatively affect the plants and fish.

Doesn't mean you can't do it. It just takes more attention and effort.

I haven't done a tank that small, but it's not that uncommon. You might do well to look for info from folks already keeping small tanks and take comments from the general populous with a big grain of salt.

I've kept fish for years, but I always did it the same way as I did when I started (when I was 12- in the 70s). When I started back up, I did a lot of research and suddenly found I was doing everything wrong. More scrupulous reading showed I was doing SOME things wrong and that there is a lot of myth mixed with opinion mixed with several right ways to do things out there. I like the articles written by David Bogert- he cites research (some others, some his own) and calls out clearly what is his opinion vs what is evidence based fact.

The bottom line, though, in my experience, is that keeping an aquarium is not nearly as hard as the TONS and TONS of information out there would make it seem.
  • set up a filter
  • cycle the tank
  • put in easy plants
  • don't feed too much (I know I feed too much, it's hard for ME not to)
  • change the water regularly (more if you feed too much :D )
When I started, I knew absolutely nothing but what my neighbor (who gave me the tank) and what the pet store told me and I had years of fun doing it. Now, there's tons of info to ensure I do it right, but one doesn't have to go too far down the rabbit hole of data to have a healthy aquarium with healthy fish/shrimp/whatever.

All the best and welcome to the fun!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back