Top Fin Pro Filter

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Boundava

Fish Addict
Reaction score
So we setup a 20L for two young tiretrack eels and Sis bought one of these filters from PetSmart yesterday. It is their version of the Aquaclear, but on sale for 20% off.

I was quite impressed when we opened the box. No replaceable cartridge but a big open container for media. Unlike the Aquaclear it has a more rigid setup for the media than the pull tray. Can easily be used as a refugium. Even has a removable protein skimmer in the intake. Just wish there was a way to block the hole if you choose not to use the skimmer. We wound up putting some polyfiber in it.

It does come with a small amount of media, including carbon which I just set aside for future needs. I took a seeded sponge and some seeded Seachem Matrix from my established Marineland filter and set up the filter with that. It has an impressive amount of space for media.

As it's just set up I can't say how efficient it is. If I remember I will update this post.

Last edited:
It would work for the tank you have right now, but sooner or later you are going to rehome these tiretrack eels to a bigger tank

It would work for the tank you have right now, but sooner or later you are going to rehome these tiretrack eels to a bigger tank
Thanks for the input, but I can assure you, @Boundava is well aware of this...she is a seasoned fishkeeper, with many, many tanks ;)

The 20L is certainly temporary.

Thank you Matt!

This is definitely a temporary grow up tank. I mentioned it in another thread and I guess I didn't here as I was talking about the filter more than the tank.

My Sister's friend from OH had two Borneo eels she gave away. One was blind and my Sister's other fried who is the manager of a LFS took him in, we took the younger one. Unfortunately the blind one passed (was in a 150 which is sumped). Her manager friend wanted to get a replacement eel and since her store frequently gets the tire tracks she wanted one, but due to the eel size and her sump filtration one of the small size the fish store usually gets is out of the question as it would get stuck in the intake/sump and die or jump out and die (it's an eel thing, the larger like to be suicidal).

Since we had an extra shelf on my NSF rack, an extra empty 20L with lid, extra heaters and extra sand, I suggested we set up a grow up tank for some eels. Only thing missing was a filter(hence new filter and my initial post).

Sister's manager friend was so thankful she bought two eels, one for her and Sis. Sis will grow hers up to go into the 120 we have set up with her wolf fish, wild blue accara and (new to us) rehomed common pleco that someone dropped of at that LFS my Sister's friend works at. So after a couple months when the eels grow large enough to 1. Not get stuck in the intake to the sump, and 2. Get large enough not to be a Jelly Bean (wolf fish) snack; they will go to there forever homes in a 150 and 120 gallon tanks.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back