Top 5 fish you've kept???

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Here’s mine:

1. Bettas (I have 13, my favorite fish)
2. Goldfish (at one point I had 3 lion heads and 2 telescopes)
3. Guppies (brings back childhood memories)
4. Platy (beautiful little fish)
5. Neon Tetras (fascinating schooling behavior)

1) My angels got to be boss
2) Bristlenose plecos bc I have so many!
3) Tetras (red or black phantom, lemon, flame, columbian, candycane and even african congo)
4) Kribensis
5) Bamboo shrimp (I love the way they perch themselves in the current and spread their 'net paws". It's like they systematically have a routine for eating the yummies caught in their fans. Plus I can keep them with my angels ;))

Hard but
1) bn plecos: I’ve raised/bred them in different colors they’re super tough and serve functionality; big plus that they’re the first fish my kids saw hatch from eggs!!
2 k loaches: these guys are pretty good in a variety of setups and they’re curious active little weirdos, my friends who like snakes are really into them
3 Gold barbs: pretty colorful little fish; good schoolers and can even be aggressive if needed. With minimal effort our school lived for about 5 years, even with kids new to fish doing much of the care
4 ok as a not fish , I like ghost shrimp, they add another dimension to a tank with low aggression fish
5 my betta; kept her in a 10g with her own banana plants

Top 5 I've had: Jack Dempsey, Convict Cichlids, Rams, Paradise Fish, Betta. Those are my favorites.

Top 5 I'd like: Chocolate Gourami, Honey Chuna Gourami, Aequidens portalagrensis, Mesonauta festivum, Florida Flagfish.

I was thinking about all the different fish I've had over the years. Some, when I was a kid, were a single specimen that I got just because. Some I got over and over because I really like them. Like Convict Cichlids. There were a lot of fish that I loved. You just can't run out of fish to like. Now it's Killifish but I know that some other fish will swim into my heart someday. Maybe even , though I doubt it, Plecostomus.

I watch a lot of sports and in sports people are always compiling lists of the top 5 and top 10 and GOAT and all that so i thought id have some fun and do a list of top 5 fish ive kept. Or you could post top 5 fish you want to keep or top 10 fish youve kept, excited to see peoples lists!
Mine in no particular order
1. Rainbow Shark- one of the first fish i got as a kid, lots of personality pretty colors and what kid doesnt like sharks;)
2. Rummy Nose Tetra- favorite tetra of mine because they keep really tight shoals compared to other tetras and the black and white tails with the red nose is fun.
3.Dwarf Corydora habrosus not pygmaeus. Pretty active Corydora that swim middle tank a little more than the average cory, plus theyre just so tiny and cute in a group are like a pack of tiny little bottom dwelling wolves:)
4-Bolivian Ram- tons of personality pretty colors not as sensitive or as aggressive as other dwarf cichlids, can be kept in groups or pairs or as a single just an easy versatile fun fish that comes to the glass everytime he sees me.
5. Bristlenose Pleco. My BN lived for 10 years longest ive ever had a fish, he went through moves with me, some of them in a bucket in the front seat with me in the moving truck for 13 hours. I miss my fuzzy faced little friend:( :)
Whats on your list?
Great topic!!!
Top 5 now some are past and some are present. Just like our new member with there first tank in 25 years since there last tank. I'm going thru the same channels of rediscovering and adjusting to great advances. Anyhow top five
1.clown loaches
I use to have snail issues and these fun fish helped alot.
2.kuhlie loaches
One of the fish I could remember as a kid.
3. Mouth breeding Ciclid with black yellow and some white stripes (sorry to lazy to look up name right now)
Actually had luck with some baby's
4. Panda Cory's
I was at the time in-between 7 tanks so I had 5 Panda's alone in. 20 long didn't get around to stocking any other fish or even cleaning. Because of lower level the filter provided the sound of rain and my Cory's had baby's! I was so surprised and excited. Fun cleaners that never seem to stop there scurry.
5 Guppies
Always end up with them, never thought I would be hooked and always say never again.... LOL . These fish have endless color combination, variety and style. Always picking around and moving around.

Thanks Utahfish for this forum, I have enjoyed all the input and stories.

I was thinking about all the different fish I've had over the years. Some, when I was a kid, were a single specimen that I got just because. Some I got over and over because I really like them. Like Convict Cichlids. There were a lot of fish that I loved. You just can't run out of fish to like. Now it's Killifish but I know that some other fish will swim into my heart someday. Maybe even , though I doubt it, Plecostomus.
Absolutely
So hard not to name them all over time so many memories, stories and lessons learned. I have an endless wish list as well, hahaha

Great topic!!!
Top 5 now some are past and some are present. Just like our new member with there first tank in 25 years since there last tank. I'm going thru the same channels of rediscovering and adjusting to great advances. Anyhow top five
1.clown loaches
I use to have snail issues and these fun fish helped alot.
2.kuhlie loaches
One of the fish I could remember as a kid.
3. Mouth breeding Ciclid with black yellow and some white stripes (sorry to lazy to look up name right now)
Actually had luck with some baby's
4. Panda Cory's
I was at the time in-between 7 tanks so I had 5 Panda's alone in. 20 long didn't get around to stocking any other fish or even cleaning. Because of lower level the filter provided the sound of rain and my Cory's had baby's! I was so surprised and excited. Fun cleaners that never seem to stop there scurry.
5 Guppies
Always end up with them, never thought I would be hooked and always say never again.... LOL . These fish have endless color combination, variety and style. Always picking around and moving around.

Thanks Utahfish for this forum, I have enjoyed all the input and stories.
Youre welcome, ive enjoyed reading about all the different fish people keep or have or want to!

1 - All Corydoras but particularly Sterbai and Duplicareus
2 - Emperor Tetra
3 - Ember Tetras
4 - Cardinal Tetras
5 - Thomasi Cichlids

That was hard choosing the last couple in particular.

I think there are too many nice fish that I have kept.

1)Discus - king of freshwater aquarium.
Red Melon, Blue Diamond, Tiger stripes, Eruption, Golden Yellow Albino.

2)Bettas - they are probably the second most beautiful after Discus.
From the Halfmoon to Koi Betta Plakat .

3)Apistogrammas:
My favourite are Agassizi Triple Red, Cacatuoides Super Red/Orange, Bitaeniata, Panduro, Borelli.

4)Killifish:
Golden Lyretail Panchax, Bluefin Notho, Black Pearl Killifish.

5)Earth Eater species :
Satanoperca Leucosticta and Jurupari.

6)Neolamprologus Caudopunctatus

7)Black Calvus

8)Electric Blue Dempsey

9)Electric Yellow Lab

10)Demasoni

11)Tropheus Duboisis

12)Electric Blue Rams, Blue Rams, Golden Rams.

13)Synodontis multipunctatus

I think my list will have no end....LOL

Last edited:
Top 5 I've kept:

1. Wild Caught Apistogramma Cacatouides (Cockatoo Apisto) - bred them and they were STUNNING.

2. Fire Mouth Cichlids; Breeding Pair. Male was 8 inches long and female was 6 inches long. I've never seen another Fire Mouth in real life that was half as stunning. I really wish I had not sold them, or at least, kept some of their fry.

3. Neolamprologus leleupi - Never had a lot of luck due to aggressiveness, but they were just beautiful.

4. Kribensis Cichlid (ahem, shocker I know). Unique behavior and if you can find a nice specimen, GORGEOUS. I have always wanted to try and breed pelvicachromis taeniatus. Simply stunning.

5. Honestly, I've always loved ram cichlids. I've got a beautiful pair right now. I know, I'm a cichlid guy.

** I do appreciate other fish; livebearers etc. but I just really enjoy the unique behavior of cichlids.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back