FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

In no particular order
Oscar
Jack Dempsey
Red Devil
Red Severum
Blood Parrot

So about 15 years ago i worked at PETsmart and as one would suppose, management and the powers that be dont really know much about fish or care they just know they can make money selling them. So this particular store had about 60 tanks small ones on top medium ones in the middle longer large ones on the bottom this is where most cichlids lived. So any way there was one tank that had about a 6 inch red devil that hadntbsold for a while and he was getting picked on by all the other cichlids in the tank and we had marked the price down on him because petsmart was discontinuing red devils, so i just wanted to keep this guy alive until i could sell him he was my favorite fish in the whole store. I moved him to different tanks and put in fake plants and rocks and ornaments for him and talked him up to every potential cichlid customer i could and finally i sold him to some guy and i was like a proud papa sending my kid off to his first day of school. Ive never kept large cichlids only dwarfs but i feel like that red devil was mine for a minute.:)

1. Corydoras Aeneus (i keep 7 species, but aeneus is my personal favourite for personality)
2. Farlowella Platorynchus/Farlowella vittata (i have both species and they behave the same)
3. Dwarf gourami
4. Pangio doriae
5. Kubotai rasbora

Whats a Pangio Doriae, sounds cool?

Whats a Pangio Doriae, sounds cool?
"Golden eel loach" is the most common generic name, but its pretty vague.
Similar to pangio oblonga ("black kuhli loach" or "java loach") but slimmer, thinner build and lankier. Nasal spikes differentiate it from pangio aguillaris.
20200317_132800.jpg

20200306_165406.jpg
20200305_113358(0).jpg

And pangio oblonga to compare
20200123_175932.jpg

I have oblonga, seminica, and a couple others. But the doriae arent shy at all, just overall neat and fun to watch. They're so easy going i find. Like they have a bit more dignity than the others with how they move. I only have the 3 (they were by catches among other fish) and theyre constantly around together day and night. Less shy than seminica and less whacky than oblonga. Plus, they dig burrows under the hardscape instead of just hiding under things.

1. Black ghost knifefish
2. Discus
3. Green knifefish
4. Kuhli loach
5. L001 pleco

"Golden eel loach" is the most common generic name, but its pretty vague.
Similar to pangio oblonga ("black kuhli loach" or "java loach") but slimmer, thinner build and lankier. Nasal spikes differentiate it from pangio aguillaris.
View attachment 100129
View attachment 100136View attachment 100135

And pangio oblonga to compare
View attachment 100137

I have oblonga, seminica, and a couple others. But the doriae arent shy at all, just overall neat and fun to watch. They're so easy going i find. Like they have a bit more dignity than the others with how they move. I only have the 3 (they were by catches among other fish) and theyre constantly around together day and night. Less shy than seminica and less whacky than oblonga. Plus, they dig burrows under the hardscape instead of just hiding under things.
Cool looking fish, almost looks like some kind of mythical creature from some forgotten time.

Oh dear, not my favourite fish at all but here goes with my limited experience.
Green barbs, the bully boys fighting above their weight , active n I love them.
Angels, so graceful and sleek but sly buggers, so be careful.
Gouramis, peaceful and very graceful for me anyway.
Corys, so entertaining in an innocent way.
Neons, who can dis the humble neons, common yet beautiful .
Ooh, the snake like fish gives me shivers n makes my skin crawl, but each to their own.

Acarichthys heckelii, adult males have stunning fins. Other cichlids include Geophagus brasiliensis and Apistogramma cacatuoides.

Iriatherina werneri, again adult males have cool fins and they show off so well. Pseudomugil gertrudae, signifer, connieae & furcatus are also cool.

Melanotaenia praecox, neon blue rainbowfish that are round in shape. But also most rainbowfish from Australia and New Guinea.

Lepidogalaxias salamandroides, for pure rarity and prehistoric nature, not to mention they are the only fish in the world that can turn their head independently of their body.

Synodontis multipunctatus, a catfish from Lake Tanganyika that breeds when cichlids breed, and the cichlids pick up the catfish's eggs and look after them. Synodontis angelicus due to their colour when young. Corydoras barbatus due to the colour on the adult males.

Only been in the hobby a year or so but my top 5 specie ive kept so far are...

1.Odessa barbs
2.Black Ruby barbs
3.Otto's
4.Rosy barbs
5.Flame Tetra

Top ten
6.Panda cories
7.Cherry barbs
8.Albino cories
9.Zebra danios
10.Cardinal Tetra

My Bn pleco will be very sad not to be in top ten but he thinks he knows best when it comes to arranging the tank :dunno: hes a little sod :hyper:

Only been in the hobby a year or so but my top 5 specie ive kept so far are...

1.Odessa barbs
2.Black Ruby barbs
3.Otto's
4.Rosy barbs
5.Flame Tetra

Top ten
6.Panda cories
7.Cherry barbs
8.Albino cories
9.Zebra danios
10.Cardinal Tetra

My Bn pleco will be very sad not to be in top ten but he thinks he knows best when it comes to arranging the tank :dunno: hes a little sod :hyper:
Love flame Tetras and yes BN plecos are like that:)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back