• eh maybe

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • No

Votes: 1 5.6%

• Total voters

snork6

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So while watching youtube I found a video  And it surprised me how many guppies were in that tank! so what do yall think is it over stocked?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fsKXpMz7A3o

I'm not very experienced with guppies, but they are pretty small fish and it seems like they have room to move around. Do they need places to hide though?

It's kind of hard to tell how big the tank is in the video, But if the 37 guppies were the only fish, I'd keep them in nothing smaller than a 90 gallon (340litre) tank, and that's not even giving room for the hundreds of babies you would have within a few months.

Jeremy180 said:
It's kind of hard to tell how big the tank is in the video, But if the 37 guppies were the only fish, I'd keep them in nothing smaller than a 90 gallon (340litre) tank, and that's not even giving room for the hundreds of babies you would have within a few months.

I have talked to the owner and the tank is 37 gallons he does not know how many guppies there is

Oh, the TANK is 37 gallons......
Most likely too many then, 20 guppies (10 male, 10 female) alone would need about 180 litres (48 US gallons) for bioload, and that looks to be a good deal more than twenty guppies, plus we still have the aforementioned problem of what to do with the babies

Simple solution: get him a pair of firemouth cichlids
biggrin.png

only kidding, before I get jumped on
wink.png

I did exactly that in my Mollie and Platy tank.

Here's one too...

https://youtu.be/1y7USJCClto

These guys do a nice job with their tanks on youtube, but this one looks a little busy hehe.

Over populated has more to do with the water chemistry than anything else. If that tank can maintain zero ammonia and zero nitrites with that population then the filter is dealing with the population and it is fine. On the other hand a power failure will likely see you lose a large number of fish in a very short time because they are relying completely on that filter and as soon as it stops the poisons will start to build up fast. I would reduce to no more that 1/4 of what I am seeing in the video.

Hehe definetly waaaaaaaay over stocked but dang guppies are so hardy it isn't hard thing to let happen :p I recently just did a huge population reduction I had about 60ish in a 30 gallon definitely to many but honestly they did fine.. I didn't have many deaths and they never appeared to be struggling for air or anything.

I know my water quality was bad, guppies are just so strong they seem to survive almost anything. I would rather keep reasonable numbers though for the greater good. I was pretty shocked at how fast they go 2 times ive given a bunch away and both times I had responses to my ads within a day.

Too many guppies... With guns in their hands...

Anyways, those poor gups don't even have any hiding places.. 

Zante said:
biggrin.png

only kidding, before I get jumped on
wink.png
That's mean. lol

That reminds me of the LFS tanks when they've just gotten the guppies out of quarantine. :lol:

Honestly, if I ever kept guppies, I would probably keep something in with them to keep babies in check. Or just keep males, though this presents it's own challenges.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back