To crop & dock or Not ??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

To Crop & Dock - or Not ?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cropping & docking is cruel and should be banned !

• Total voters
Yes, I know the same arguement can be used for neutering, but ATM its generally needed to advoid unwanted puppies that could not be found and die, not be found, found as an adult then killed or found as puppies and killed. Also there's cancer and all that. I'm not a dog person, but surely theres more risk to cats tails etc. than to dogs and we don't cut off cats tails. Cats can get trapped, stuck, run over etc. a lot easier than dogs can.

I'm not going to argue this one and this is the last comment I make on the castration subject: a male dog will not know if he's been neutered or not - he does not understand the concept thereof. The pain is little - the gain is a huge.
It's worth it.

I'm not going to "humanize" this situation - it can't be done.

I am a HUGE supporter of spaying and neutering :thumbs: .

More than 3.5 million animals are put to death each year in our shelters.
Just to throw that into perspective, that’s like euthanizing every single person in Delaware, Montana, Vermont, AND Hawaii this year alone.

That is reason enough for me to spay/neuter my animals. Enough said.

Surgically altering the way an animal looks just to suit us is wrong :no: . And, if preformed wrong can cause the animal to lose control of their bowls. Which basically signs their death certificate for them; not many people will put up with that on an animal.

I have nothing against people who do it. It is their choice. It just sucks that the animal doesn't have a choice.

BTW, the spaying and neutering statistic was from the Humane Society, I just put it into perspective.

No i am not saying that castrating dogs and cats and other animals is bad at all, in fact its a very responsable thing to do, my point is though is using Oohfeeshys justification of not docking and cropping dogs simply because they don't have a say in it, can be used just as much to justify not castrating them. In other words i find that type of arguement not satisfying and stupid because it can be used to justify so many good things just as bad ones.

bloozoo2 said:
It's a very simple and also quick procedure with very low risk of complications.
The dog wakes up a bit groggy, but with the pain meds he doesn't even feel a thing (pain wise) and by the time that wears off there is little to no pain pain at all left.
So is docking and cropping actually. The only complication (if you do what you are suposed to and have the blood tested beforehand to see if the dog will have problems) you have to worry about is the ears not standing later on..and that's not life threatening. But what about female altering...that is not a simple or quick procedure...you know..having your Uterous removed.

We all have decisions made for us without our consent..we get over it.

Most all decisions regarding animals are made on their behalf by their owner, regardless of if they would have wanted it or not or if they wanted it to happen or not. This will never change, and it cannot change..not until they either decide to start talking to us or we invent a machine that can read their mind. I have a male and 2 female dogs...2 are over 8 years old (well the female was until she got intestinal and stomach cancer and had to be put down last year) and I've had numerous ones before..and none have had any "gender" related cancers. I've not known anyone who had a dog like that either..although I have known several who had other types cancer. The same goes for the complications that go along with not cropping and docking. Altering is just another prevenative measure created by man to ease his pain and suffering (i.e your dog dying earlier then it would have in the wild..as I don't see people going out ot alter wolves so they don't get gender related cancers). And of course they aren't going to ban Altering..people don't keep control of their animals enough for that...people are too lazy to take care of their animals...the government has to have some way of controlling the population of unwanted animals. Banning alterations would not serve them any purpose.

Why not cut off a cat's tails? :rolleyes:

#1. They don't wag their tails..so they don't get warped on stationary objects..so they aren't subject to break.

#2. Cats actually need their tails...that is the center for their balance..kinda like a tight rope walker and that stick they use. Without it they woudl have little or no balance and would get caught by predators more easily.

#3. If a cat gets hit by a car..9 times out of 10 it's not the tail you are worried about. They usually don't survive that.

#4. Cats are not more likely to get stuck then a dog. Cats are masters at sqeezing thru tiny spaces and cracks. I have seen a cat sweeze underneath a closed door before..with only a 2" clearance underneath..don't ask how I still don't even know. Cats are 100% more careful then dogs..even when they are being silly..trust me..they knwo what's going on around them...even as they sleep..watch their ears. Comparing cats to dogs is like comparing peaches to watermelons.

I have 2 boxers, both rescued at an 'older' age so docking and cropping was not an option. I think its cruel because dogs are beautifull in their natural beauty, they dont need ears that stick up, or a short tail.

My first boxer who is 5 now we got from a boxer rescue in NY and she has a cropped tail, but the natural ears.

My second boxer who is 10 now was from a rescue was rescued off the streets of bronx, she was abused. Her ears and her tail are natural.

They are beautifull the way they are and I think dogs should be that way, natural.

Both of my dogs are spayed and both of them were when we adopted them, I believe that spaying and neutering is essential, there are so many animals with no homes because of un-spayed and un-neituered animals.

& thanks for those websites on cropping and docking bloozoo :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back