Tire Track Eel

Blue Ramirezi

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I recently set up my new tank about 2 weeks ago (160cm x 70cm x 70cm) and have gotten several starter fish, one being a tire track eel. Tire track eels, in my case M. Favus, the use of tire track confuses me as M.favus and M.armatus are both commonly called the Tire track eel, the latter being more common.

I keep mine in an adequately planted setup with a pH of 6.9 which he seems to be doing well in, they appear quite hardy but appear to be sensitive to nitrate buildups, be sure to keep nitrates down with regular weekly 30% water changes (20% can be acceptable).

My tire track is thriving in softer water (4 GH)

One thing I must point out is the fact that they do seem to displace decor and uproot plants as they have the tendency to burrow occasionally.

My tire track is 15cm long (still lingering in juvenile stages) and appears to be relatively active; even occasionally swimming midwater regions.
They happily eat frozen bloodworms and other foods and readily accept food straight from the hand.

They have amazing markings and have great character, they are great fish to keep but don't tend to get along with one another.

I recommend this fish!

:)

Ok, I'll send you a picture, I only have pictures on my phone so there bad quality, unfortunately I can't post now because I'm going out but I'll send you pictures soon

Most reactions

Back