Tights Over Filter For Shrimp

pixelpefekt

Fish Crazy
Joined
Mar 28, 2008
Messages
259
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Scotland - In the middle
Started my first shrimp tank and as I don't have a sponge filter, I've simply covered my Fluval1+ with some material from the foot of a pair of tights (stolen from my wife - shh).

The little filter is now really struggling to suck water through. Any advice? alternative material?
 
Started my first shrimp tank and as I don't have a sponge filter, I've simply covered my Fluval1+ with some material from the foot of a pair of tights (stolen from my wife - shh).

The little filter is now really struggling to suck water through. Any advice? alternative material?



What about a piece of bigger holed net like a fish net or sumit? but small enough not to let little shrimpies through lol
 
Get a filter sponge and stick it over the intake; That's what I've done and there hasn't been much of a drop in flow.
 
Not sure how you can fit a sponge over it with the sucker at the back, etc....

You are better off squeezing an oversized sponge inside so that it fits tightly covering the two side grills.
 
Not sure how you can fit a sponge over it with the sucker at the back, etc....

You are better off squeezing an oversized sponge inside so that it fits tightly covering the two side grills.

ha ha thats what i have done with my 3+ got some nice cheap aquarium sponge cut it into 2 bits and shoved them where the intake slits are , the filter is still running well and baby shrimps can be seen going in and out of the black sponge thats sort of poking out through thee slits

good luck

sarahx
 
Hmmmm..... Well I got a fluval 2+ in my shrimp tank, with 100+ cherry shrimp. I started with 20 shrimp and nothing has ever covered the filter intakes. Shrimps do get sucked up, quite a few of them....... What I do is gently swish the filter media in a bucket of tank water. This dislodges the shrimps, then I net them and toss them back in the tank. I then clean the filter like normal. I've never had a problem doing this. My shrimps still multiply like crazy.
 
Glad its working now - Just an aside .. Why use an aquarium sponge? Can you not simply by a nylon sponge (i.e. face cleaning/car washing/non-scratch dishwashing) sponge and cut a hole in it for the pipe?

Are the holes a bigger size?
 
It is not a question of pore size. A filter sponge is an open sponge. There are no solid parts of a filter sponge. If you try a gentle breath of air on a filter sponge it will go right through. If you look at a cleaning sponge it intentionally is made with closed cells because they are tougher when being used for cleaning. Here is a closeup of a filter sponge. You can easily see the cut bubbles look of the open pore filter sponge.
DrySponge.jpg
 

Most reactions

Back
Top