Tigers

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

CARNO

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I'm going to pick up some tiger barbs today and Cory's maybe but are Cory's fine to have with tigers I don't have to many hiding spots for or to many plants

Adding two schools at once isn't advisable, unless you did a fishless cycle recently and the bacterial colonies are large enough to support a fully stocked tank already?

If not, it's better to get the barbs, wait a few weeks for the bacteria colonies to catch up to the increased bioload, then get the cories, or vice versa.

What substrate do you have? Cories are filter filters and really need a fine sand substrate to thrive and practice their natural behaviours.

Also what is your water hardness and which species of cory were you thinking of?

Barbs and cories can be housed together, provided the barbs are in a large enough schoal. If there aren't enough barbs (12 plus I think) then they can harass and nip other tank mates. You want a large enough school that they're busy with each other, and leave other members of the community alone.

What size is your tank?

Tiger Barbs will do better in a longer length tank than a tall tank. Would suggest a tank length of at least 2.5 - 3+ feet.

Groups minimum of 12, the more the better as this helps to spread their aggressiveness, and yes they can be very aggressive.
These species are one of the nippiest and aggressive that I know of, and have heard some stories about them that will make you go :crazy:

But I think a lot depends on the temperament of the group of tigers, some are more aggressive than others, they will certainly be likely to fin nip at any fish species with long fins, and if they are aggressive at all then they will likely nip at most fish species including cories and plecos.

You might get lucky and have a placid group of tigers.

So this kind of makes the tiger barbs hit or miss to mix with cories.

Personally I would keep them as a specie only in a biotope type tank, as they are a very nice looking and interesting fish specie imho, though must admit I prefer the natural colouration to the green ones.

Quote from SF -

"This species is notoriously aggressive with a reputation for biting the fins of other fishes, although this behaviour only seems to be pronounced when insufficient numbers are purchased or space is limited.

That said, it is relatively boisterous and does not make an ideal companion for timid, slow-moving, or long-finned species such as many livebearers, cichlids, and anabantoids.

Robust fishes inhabiting similar biotopes in nature, especially comparably-sized, pelagic cyprinids perhaps constitute the best choices but other options include balitorid, cobitid, and nemacheilid loaches as well as benthic cyprinids such as Crossocheilus or Garra species. If geography is not an issue many rainbowfishes and tetras are also suitable, but be sure to research your choices thoroughly before purchase.

It is a gregarious species forming loose hierarchies, with rival males continually battling with each other for female attention and hierarchical position within the group.

A group of at least 8-10 specimens should be considered the minimum purchase since this increases the likelihood that the fish will be distracted by each other rather than their tankmates and will result in a more natural-looking display. Males will also show better colouration in the presence of conspecific rivals."

I wouldn't get the corydoras with your pea gravel. They need sand, sorry.

That ok but I just got back and got four more so 8 now and I got this plant called Hydrocotyle tripartita will it do fine on pea gravel and also how do you plant it

That ok but I just got back and got four more so 8 now and I got this plant called Hydrocotyle tripartita will it do fine on pea gravel and also how do you plant it
You can tie it to driftwood or plant it carefully in the gravel. I don't know how it will do.

The gut at the pet store said it will be fine also I don't have drift wood also I don't know to plant it

The gut at the pet store said it will be fine also I don't have drift wood also I don't know to plant it
I have hydrocotyle. Plant the roots in the substrate. You might be able to gently tease the plant apart to make a few different plants, if you can get a photo of the plant, it would help. I don't know whether you have an in-vitro pot, or it's potted and wrapped in rockwool or what, so it's hard to say.

IMG_20201002_155431_1.jpg

Ah okay, that's perfect. Take the plant out of the pot, then gently pull that fuzzy stuff away from the roots in small strips. It's called rockwool, and it's a growing medium, but you don't want to leave it on there, the plant will grow better if the roots aren't being constricted by the rockwool, and the stuff can go pretty nasty in your tank.

Hydrocotyle is pretty fragile, so try to be gentle and pull the rockwool away in tiny strips. Don't worry if some of the smaller roots break, just try to keep most of them intact.

Video about planting and propagating hydrocotyle tripartita here

I'd probably separate it out into little bunches, like the video. Especially if you want it to carpet, it'll do it faster if it's a load of small spaced out bunches rather than one big clump.

It was breaking when I started to separate it so I didn't want it to break

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back