Tiger Barbs

Beavo68

Reaction score
Sat in my LFS and watched a school of Tiger Barbs. Incredible - I hadn't given them much thought for my 18 gallon set up I'm going to run (18 US gal. "tall"). This is my eclipse 1 filtration system tank.

Question : how big of a school could I have if these were the only fish in the tank? Anyone else run a single species tank? Is this a good idea, or am I just overly impressed by these active colorful fish?

They are an incredibly active, nicely marked and well coloured fish, why not be impressed. They also have a bit of a fin nipper reputation, so a species tank is ideal. In a tank such as you describe I'd suggest 10, "tall" tanks don't have as much swimming room as regulars.

You may get away with 4, but I would always advocate a group of at least 6, and then in a tank without slow moving fish or long finned species.

you could get 6-8 tigers and a couple bottom dwellers like kuhlis or cories. that'd be a nice setup. or you could have tigers and a couple cherry barbs.

have fun!

I thought about corys on the bottom and Tigers all over.

I read in a few places that angels wouldn't be happy in a tank as small as mine? Is that wrong? I've been told not to mix tigers and angels - but if I went with just angels (how many?) would they be happy in a n 18 gallon tall? :dunno:

I agree. Angels need a bigger tank than 18g.

You've definitely got the right idea. I think that 8 tiger barbs and a few (3-4) dwarf corys, otos, or small loaches would make a great tank.

If I were to go with 8 tigers, could I get 4 "regular" and 4 albino? :dunno:
Will they school together - or do the 2 types keep their distance? I ask because 1) I'm new to all this. forgive me if the answer is obvious.... and 2) That might be a very interesting looking school of fish....

Tigers, green, albino, Rosy, 6 banded, painted and black, yes black will all school together. Which if you have all of the above mentioned in the same tank is an awesome sight. BARBS RULE!!!!!

I have a mostly barb tank.

I have

9 Tiger Barbs
3 Albino Barbs
1 Green Barb

They all school together fine and are very active and playful

With them I have 6 neon tetras and 4 glo-lite tetras. The barbs don't harass the tetras at all really They keep to themselves.

I have them in with ottos too and they are fine.

All these are in a 38gal planted tank

I've got 4 moss green tigers in my community tank with 2 albino corys, 1 black spotted upside down cat fish and 2 small tandanus catfish and they all get along fine. Keep the barbs in groups of 4 or more and you should be fine :)

Most reactions

Back