tiger barbs

Annastasia

s&b&tt
Retired Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I am going to set-up a community tank and I am wondering what fish tiger barbs will go with. My friend has tiger barbs with guppies,tetras,rasboras and platies. I have heard that they will nip fins, but she has never had a problem with them.

Please help if you can!

The basic advice with Tiger Barbs is that you need to keep a group of at least 6 in order to keep them busy chasing after each other rather than anything else. That said, they should not be kept with fish with trailing fins as they will nip. If your friend has Tigers with guppies, she is "getting away with it" - for now.

So, if I got a group of tiger barbs, what other fish would they be good with?

Something fast, so they can get away from the barbs if need be. Try and get some other semi-aggressive fish. Gourami's, red-tail shark (if your tank is big enough), you could probably go with plaites and mollies. I would say anything that doesn't have a long flowing tail.

Tiff

I would expect Tigers to have a go at gourami's as they tend to have long fins, but I have to say, I have never tried. Otherwise, yes, fast swimming things some tetras, danios, etc. Corys and the like are usually ignored by Tigers.

I have black skirt tetras and corys in with my barbs in my 55, and all seem to get along quite fine. The barbs and the tetras school together which looks really nice. I have tried slow moving tetras like the head and tail lights in there, but they did not fair so will as they were getting nipped by both the barbs and the skirts. Good luck and keep us posted on who you decide to go with.
Sandy

I will probably go with tetras, danios and corys. I have a few gouramis already. Should I try to put them in?? Well, I have to get the tank up and running first! :D

By the way, how big of a tank do the redtailed sharks need?

I will let you know how it goes!

we have barbs with corys,yoyos,neons,cardinals,red eye tetras,zebra+leopard danios a hillstream loach & algae eating shrimps............the barbs never bother anything but you do need as mentioned at least 6 :D

hmm ppl have different experiences(sp)

i found that keepin cories with my barbs quite stressfull on the cories... iv now moved them... along with nipped fins....

The first day i put my tetras in, my barbs went crazy and fin nipped them all the time. By the end of the first day, all of them were showing fin damage. After that, they never bothered them again. They are all healthy and doing fine now

my albino ones an bronze ones had been in there for a month with no interest being payed towards them, but as soon as i added the peppered ones it was a free fin meal for the barbs.. they even trie dit with my ars(albino rainbow shark) but didnt get very far... so i decided to put em in a temp tank....

Would it be better to put in the tetras, danios and cories first? So that they don't get as stressed out, with the barbs coming in? Or does it matter?

Having the other fish in first will enable them to work out where the hiding places are if necessary, maybe a good idea.

Of all the fish i added to my tank, the barbs were the fastest acclimators. Within 5 mins they acted like they were always a part of the tank. Still i would probably introduce them last if i did it over again

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back