Tiger Barbs Died After Transfer

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dcousino

Reaction score
I've recently been battling an algae problem that started during a vacation. I decided to empty the tank, clean it and start again. I have a smaller tank that I transferred the fish. To do this I simply filled it with water from my bigger tank and started the filter with a new foam pad and charcoal bag. Well after two days 3 of my 4 Tiger Barbs died as did a Corey. I have loaches and tetras that are doing fine. What should I check for to determine what might have happened?

Thanks.

The problem is that the new foam pad and charcoal bag didn't have any bacteria on it, so they almost certainly died of ammonia poisoning. Have you tested for ammonia and nitrite? Do you still have the old foam pad? If so, clean it in old tank water, then put it back in the filter, hopefully some of the bacteria will get going again quickly.

I used the old tank water to fill the new tank.  Isn't what I did the same as a normal filter pad change?

Thanks.

Yes. You shouldn't change a filter pad until it is literally falling apart. There is virtually no bacteria in the water.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back