Tiger Barb Aggressive

DjLeethul

New Member
Joined
Sep 8, 2008
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I know that tiger barbs are notorious fin nippers and can be aggressive. I used to have 5 (1 died, fungal infection), which brings my total to 4. The alpha barb, I guess, harasses the other 3 barbs constantly and I just do not want another stress related illness. The aquarium has good hiding places, its just that the alpha barb chases them through everything. Does anyone know of any other solutions? Possibly get a few more barbs?



4 tiger barbs
4 serpae tetras
2 clown loaches (moving to bigger aquarium when they get big enough)
30 gallon
 
My guess would be yes, to get a couple more barbs. Or do away with them altogether! They are beautiful fish, but have caused me nothing but trouble in the past, so I stay clear of them now.
 
hi
yes - getting more barbs will defianately help - the more your tank will cope with ( size/stocking etc) the better. aggression & one being 'king barb' is normal behaviour for these fish but when you have a small number they will get picked on by the bully, a larger group spreads out the aggression & you may find one day one of the other barbs will 'turn' on mr bully have a scrap as they do & mr bully will no longer be the 'king'
we've kept a group of only 6 barbs for over 5 years now & find that the 'king' position does change from time to time & once a bully gets beaten in a nose to nose scrap it usually tends to calm down a bit.
ive always loved tiger barbs & would love to have a bigger pack - we have bought a 6ft to replace our 4ft so maybe then!!!!!
 
They are beutiful yes but very aggressive

I have 10 in a 120L species only tank with one snail

lots of plants rocks.

But they still peck at the soft apple snail bits, and chassing is normal just spread out the aggresion with at least 10
 

Most reactions

Back
Top