Through The Roof Ammonia

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Manosa0429

Reaction score
I have been hovering and reading for a few weeks. I feel i have to preface this emergency plea for help, lest I be admonished for not doing things "right". I am looking for help of what I can do NOW not criticism how I did things "wrong". Back in the early 1990's - mid 2000's I had a 10 gallon, then 45 gallon then 75 gallon. EVERY time I bought tank, added water, added stress-coat, bought ton of fish, had aquarium. And I never had losses. So, anecdotally, I thought I was doing it OK.

Reading these posts I know I was not.

I set up recent aquarium I think 7 weeks ago. Every weekend I went to fish store and had them test water and when they said it was ok I bought a few more fish. I had a few minor losses, and one major loss (4 weeks ago over night all my guppies died plus 2 mollies died) Each and every one of my tetras have survived, as have my cories.

So, reading these forums, for some reason I paniced and went out and bought a test kit (I was using strips and trusting fish store before). Fish are acting fine BUT these numbers mean I'm in trouble!

PH: 6.0 (or lower, this is as low as it goes) - Note: I always knew this was issue. been adding PH up and added seashells. I assumed low PH was why mollies died and tetras seem happy.
Ammonia: 8.0 OMG!!!
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 0

I ran to pet store. They will only take back fish if they are dead (no joke).

I did 75% water change.
I added PH up
I added "Ammonia Safe"

I waited an hour and numbers still same.

What can I do?

Why are my fish seemingly thriving despite these numbers?

I now know I made mistake, so please save lectures and provide meaningful PROSPECTIVE advice!

Thanks!

Nicole

Well strangely enough, its probably the low pH that is saving the fish from the high ammonia reading. Low pH causes the ammonia to turn into a non-toxic form called ammonium. Ammonia and ammonium will both show up on an ammonia test kit, even though one isn't actually ammonia. So you probably have tons of ammonium and little to none of the poisonous ammonia. That said, I don't know why the guppies and mollies died.

I don't know what to tell you to do, I just posted to say I recognized the seeming paradox you had.

Well strangely enough, its probably the low pH that is saving the fish from the high ammonia reading. Low pH causes the ammonia to turn into a non-toxic form called ammonium. Ammonia and ammonium will both show up on an ammonia test kit, even though one isn't actually ammonia. So you probably have tons of ammonium and little to none of the poisonous ammonia. That said, I don't know why the guppies and mollies died.

I don't know what to tell you to do, I just posted to say I recognized the seeming paradox you had.

So should I stop trying to get PH up?

Tank is 30 gallons

Inhabitants:

4 cories
2 platies
2 dwarf gouramis
9 tetras (2 lemon, 2 pristella, 3 bleeding heart, 2 blood fin) - PS - they all school together
2 barbs (1 checkered, 1 cherry)

They all look healthy - and in my years of fish keeping in past I almost 100% can tell before a fish dies that he is in trouble (probably because I stare at darm tank so much - lol)

Thanks!

Nicole

You should do as many water changes as it takes to get the ammonia reading to 0, and keep the bucket handy cos with all those fish in a 30 gallon tank you`ll be needing it at least twice a day :lol:

Good news....just did another test

PH up to 6.4
Ammonia down to .25

Thanks for advice. I'll keep changing water. Thankfully, I work from home and my aquarium is in my home office so I have plenty time to put into it.

I still do not get how the reading got THAT HIGH. My son (he is autistic) overfeeds the fish when I'm not looking. i'm going to lock up fish food.

Nicole

Update:

This AM:

PH 6.4
Amm: 4.0
Nitrite: .25
Nitrate: 0

25% water change. Will do 25% more in few hours if ammonia level does not drop. Fish look very active and well.

This is my first Nitrite reading. Does that mean cycling in beginning? Tank has been set up 7 weeks...could it start this late?

Nicole

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back